2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's HID headlights (2007) are getting really hazing looking and need to be replaced. They are original. We've tried having them polished, twice, with very little improvement. The cost of new HID headlight assemblies is pretty insane at ~$680 each (BN8R-51-031D, BN8R-51-041D).

Can a halogen headlight assembly be used as a 'shell' to rebuild his HIDs? Or can I simply get rid of the HIDs and replace with aftermarket halogens (or OEM halogens) without modifying anything?

The only differences I see in the exploded assembly view is the low beam bulb connection looks different and there is a $420 control module for HID.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can buy a "new" aftermarket complete housing for under $120. on E ba y
MrBen,

Is there any different between the halogen housing the HID housing? If they are one and the same, I'll happily buy a housing and then transfer over all the components from my son's headlights.

You say "complete housing" - does that mean a complete assembly or an empty housing?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
MrBen,

Is there any different between the halogen housing the HID housing? If they are one and the same, I'll happily buy a housing and then transfer over all the components from my son's headlights.

You say "complete housing" - does that mean a complete assembly or an empty housing?
CHROME HOUSING CLEAR SIDE PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT+6000K HID LED+FAN 04-09 MAZDA3
Pair OE Replacement Crystal Lens Projector Headlight

Empty housing - they're brand-new aftermarket

I don't know if the OEM hid work in a halogen housing, but the halogen version is H7

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CHROME HOUSING CLEAR SIDE PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT+6000K HID LED+FAN 04-09 MAZDA3
Pair OE Replacement Crystal Lens Projector Headlight

Empty housing - they're brand-new aftermarket

I don't know if the OEM hid work in a halogen housing, but the halogen version is H7
OH MAN, THIS IS GREAT! Thanks, MrBen.

My daughters Mazda3 has halogen, and we do buy the Sylvania Silverstar zXe H7 bulbs for her. We seem to get two years of run time with them. Never had to change my son's HID bulbs, however. But, he's only had the car for a couple of years...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They all seem to be Halogen/LED, and aren't actually HID Xenon headlamp assemblies. Still not finding anything "cheap" other than used - but the used ones have the same problem.

The cheapest I see on eBay for a new set of HID housings is $720. That's half the cost of everything else I'm finding.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The procedures out there on YouTube for baking a headlight assembly in an oven to soften the glue and pry off the old cover are very intriguing. We are going to fix my son's headlights some time this year, but I'm not sure when as it depends on his bank account.

Our choices, in no particular order are:

1) Buy replacement HID headlamps - probably not going to happen

2) Buy aftermarket halogen headlamps and convert - still trying to determine if this is feasible

3) Buy aftermarket halogen headlamps and bake off the lenses from both new and old headlamps and swap them - need to determine if halogen and HID headlamps are identical in size and shape.

My daughter needs her halogen bulbs replaced, so we're going to pull one of her headlight assemblies out and one of my son's HID headlight assemblies and see if they appear identical. Both own a 2007 Mazda 3, but different trim levels. I'll report back after we've done that.

Reactions: MrBen

·
Registered
25 Posts
How do I know if my headlights are just regular halogen bulb or the HID/xenon fusion bulb? I've got a 2006 M3 S Hatchback.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do I know if my headlights are just regular halogen bulb or the HID/xenon fusion bulb? I've got a 2006 M3 S Hatchback.
Most likely just halogen. The Grand Touring model came with HID. I don't know if HID was offered as an option on the Touring or the S, but you can always do a VIN lookup online and see every option that your car came with.

This is the best VIN decoder I can find.
https://www.decodethis.com/vin/

Reactions: TPB

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my son’s 2007 grand touring we changed out his HID housings for regular halogen housings and installed LED bulbs. More light output than the HIDs at a fraction of the cost. We simply snipped the wires leading to the original headlights and soldered and heat shrinked on new bulb sockets for the LED bulbs. We have had zero issues with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts