2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're about to get our Mz3 fixed from when the hooved rat hit it and damaged the front bump, grill and rattled the fog light/signal light assemblies, mostly right side.

One outfit mentioned that if the right headlight assembly is cracked (it appears undamaged along with the right front fender) that it would be $1,000. Autozone shows them for about $750. Halogen ones are only about $130-200. What is the difference in the housings? Looks as though the HID have some screws holding a flat something against the assembly. So, guess they are different, but is the cost in the assembly or the HID lights. All light work fine. It's just the fog lights that got bobbled and moved a bit.

I'm trying to get some smarts for if they find the right headlight assembly cracked.

Think these may be the ones that turn a bit with the steering action.

Ralph

·
Registered
348 Posts
We're about to get our Mz3 fixed from when the hooved rat hit it and damaged the front bump, grill and rattled the fog light/signal light assemblies, mostly right side.

One outfit mentioned that if the right headlight assembly is cracked (it appears undamaged along with the right front fender) that it would be $1,000. Autozone shows them for about $750. Halogen ones are only about $130-200. What is the difference in the housings? Looks as though the HID have some screws holding a flat something against the assembly. So, guess they are different, but is the cost in the assembly or the HID lights. All light work fine. It's just the fog lights that got bobbled and moved a bit.

I'm trying to get some smarts for if they find the right headlight assembly cracked.

Think these may be the ones that turn a bit with the steering action.

Ralph
Ralph, are you doing the repairs yourself or going through your insurance?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know what AFS is. Just know our 2016 GT HID lights turn a bit with steering. HID lights are really great. Have them on the Mx5 2013 GT as well. They don't rotate.

What about LED lights? Do they take the same assembly as for halogens? I've LEDs to go into the fog light assemblies. They just fit in like the halogens do.

·
Super Moderator
4,963 Posts
Don't know what AFS is. Just know our 2016 GT HID lights turn a bit with steering.
Well, not for nothing but maybe you should learn more about your car before you start buying parts.....you do have an owners manual, right?
The problem here is your car is equipped with bi-xenon HID lights and AFS. You can't just replace one side with something else and call it good. Given that you seem know little about how your car works or how to fix it, your best bet is just replace the broken parts with OEM. Either way I hope your insurance company is covering this because its not going to be cheap.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know plenty about cars, having done my own maintenance for about 50 years and have rebuilt 2 engines, pulled two transmissions, etc. Just not familiar with the new stuff. Helped my dad, who was a mechanic before that.
Have insurance but didn't call the cops when hooved rat hit, and it's likely going to be south of $3,000. Report to the insurance, and you'll pay in higher premiums forever, too. Go insurance, and all the costs go up, too.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I know plenty about cars, having done my own maintenance for about 50 years and have rebuilt 2 engines, pulled two transmissions, etc. Just not familiar with the new stuff. Helped my dad, who was a mechanic before that.
Have insurance but didn't call the cops when hooved rat hit, and it's likely going to be south of $3,000. Report to the insurance, and you'll pay in higher premiums forever, too. Go insurance, and all the costs go up, too.
Not true, i just had $10K worth of work done to my 3 for nothing out of my pocket save for gas in the rental and loaner.

Prior to that, i had them payout $100k for a bike wreck in 2017, never went up and the bike wasnt covered with them, but i was cause i refuse to have less than stellar coverage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts