·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
many of us here have the DDM ones. the lifetime warranty and low price was what got me to get them and so far so good after i installed the relay harness

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I get the raptors do I have to get the harness? and wich are better raptors or slims? and what k would you recommend, does 6000k look good... thanks:thumbup1 1:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Slims give you more mounting options, Raptor ballasts are bulkier but seem to be more robust.

"Looking good" is in the eyes of the beholder. 6000k looks ghetto to me - no disrespect intended, I've told this to my good friend who has them in his otherwise-clean BMW 5-series.

I prefer OEM-like 4300k which offers better light output, almost white with just the tiniest hint of blue. If it weren't for the lack of Nagare lights and the swiveling action, you'd mistake them for OEM HID's.

BUT, HID snobbery aside, 6000k looks good to a lot of folks on these boards, and are the most popular. DDM's price also appeals to a lot. When I bought my HID's a year and a half ago, DDM seemed to have some quality issues, but thanks to their reportedly great customer service, people got their replacements in no time with minimal hassle. I didn't want mine to crap out on me regardless of great customer service, so I paid a little more and bought a Japanese-manufactured kit (DDM kits come from China) made by Volt (see sig). They've seen temps ranging from -20F to 110F and haven't skipped a beat, flickered, or otherwise made a scene since day one. And I didnt need a harness. I have a 35-watt kit

That said, some people run harnesses for 35w kits just to make sure. It is much more recommended to get a harness for a 55w kit. BUT you don't need a 55w kit, 35w kits put out enough light as-is

/another HID threat

Reactions: juanmz3

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you, yeah am gonna go with 5000k its brighter and it looks better:yes:

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
That's a good choice I bought the 6000k and it's a little too blue for my taste I'm think about getting 5000k

·
Registered
91 Posts
i also got the 6k's (a friend convinced me) and when i first turned them on, i was quite disappointed. too blue for what i wanted, but i just left them on, being too lazy to replace bulbs (30 bucks for a set i might add...35 gets you the V2 raptors). after using them for a few months now, i recently compared them to brand new bulbs, and mine are noticeably whiter than the new ones, i say just stick it out, and see if you like them in a months time, if not then spend another 5 bucks for extra ballasts

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
you dont need a harness, but I did get one cuz i had problems having both turn on. I did notice that they warm up faster with the harness. 5000K is white white which I wanted. Still has a slight hue of blue but not like 6000K. My friend who got 6000K likes my 5000K better.

Compared to a BMW 135i or Acura TL HIDs, my 5000K look white and make the others look like halogens haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone who bought their HID's from DDM do I need any of the extra stuff to get it to work with my 11
Dual in/Dual out harness
Error Code Eliminator
or Adapter Cables

·
Registered
191 Posts
Never go cheap, I know i learned that leasson. I would suggest not buying if they are less than 80 or 60 dollars, you wont need a relay if they are a good brand and if you decide to go cheap get a relay just so they wont mess up. By the way 6k is the white and that is the closest to white you can get anything under that will have a yellow tone to it and anything ovet that will have a blue tone to it. I wont be a dramatic diffrence like 30k or 12k but you can see it side by side.

the first website you have looks good the only thing that looks sketchy is the ballast b/c slim ballast first came out for bikes, and both shops i go to say they will not last as long as normal ballast. I didnt look to much into the website but if it says its made for cars than i guess it should work.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Never go cheap, I know i learned that leasson. I would suggest not buying if they are less than 80 or 60 dollars, you wont need a relay if they are a good brand and if you decide to go cheap get a relay just so they wont mess up. By the way 6k is the white and that is the closest to white you can get anything under that will have a yellow tone to it and anything ovet that will have a blue tone to it. I wont be a dramatic diffrence like 30k or 12k but you can see it side by side.

the first website you have looks good the only thing that looks sketchy is the ballast b/c slim ballast first came out for bikes, and both shops i go to say they will not last as long as normal ballast. I didnt look to much into the website but if it says its made for cars than i guess it should work.
Gonna have to disagree with some points here. DDM kits work just fine. I've had mine for at least a year, no problems ever from them. Also, 6k has blue, no doubt about it. I would say 5k is closest to white and 4300k gives out the most light with a hint of yellow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I will give you an even better HID choice than both of those. I've had DDM tuning and sure they work, but they have a lot of strike up issues (Cold ignites where only one light may come on).
I recommend this company = Retro-Solutions

·
Registered
135 Posts
4500K - 5000K is the pure white color range
5000K - 12000K gives a blue/purple color range
3000K - 4500K gives a yellow/orange color range.

I purchased the 6000K DDM Raptor Kit (35W) without the relay harness. I had it installed on my car for close to a year and I haven't seen any issues yet.

If you purchased the 55W Kit or if you have startup issues, then investing in a relay harness will probably fix it because the ballast needs to draw a quick decent amount of current to ignite the gas in the bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
So everyone is blinding oncoming traffic with the incorrect lenses on their rides?

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
So everyone is blinding oncoming traffic with the incorrect lenses on their rides?
No. the halogen projectors will not blind on coming traffic as long as they are aligned properly with HIDs.

OP; I regret getting DDM's.. if you can wait a bit, get in on the morimoto hid GB that I have going. I got a replacement from DDM but now the other one is not working :sad 1: just running stock halogens cuz I hate driving with just one light on :mad 1:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just FYI...been running my Volt kit for almost 2 years thru below zero winters and hot Texas summers. They run 100%, no abnormalities on startup, no flickering, bulbs haven't been going out, etc. I'm surprised not a lot of other people run them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Update: still running my Volt kit. 2+ years and almost 40k since install. Still haven't f***ed up, not even once. If I upgrade to another vehicle with H11s soon, I'm taking my Volts with me :yes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts