2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my car (2014) I had a local company install HIDS. They used what looks like a slim ballast with a converter kit. As of now, one side flickers badly if it ever cuts on at all. I think its probably the ballast. My question is whether or not it is necessary to remove the bumper to install a new ballast or could I somehow just unplug all the wires remove the ballast and install a new one right in its place. I don't want to take it to the previous shop as there product seems very low quality. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
290 Posts
You don't have to remove your bumper to install HID's - but it depends where they installed it for you
If they did install them underneath behind the bumper then yes you may have to remove it. I installed my ballasts towards the top for super easy accessibility, but mainly to keep them away from any moisture.
Also, if you're going to replace the ballasts you might as well do it in pairs for two reasons
First, the other one may end up having problems soon
Second, cheap ballasts DO affect the color temperature of your HID bulbs. They tend to give them a slightly cooler color temperature.
So if you replace one with a higher quality one, you may end up having one of your bulbs look like 5000k while the other looks like 5500-6000k (example)

But yeah most aftermarket ballasts are universal and plug and play with each other so you should be able to swap them out

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot im going to try and go with a better brand. Ive had issues with them for over 2 years now with flickering and what not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts