2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mazda3-ers from Dirty Jersey Shore!

I needed a gas efficient commuter car that has some personality cause I had to surrender my company car, 2016 Ford Fusion. A few weeks back, I picked up a used 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Hatchback Touring (I think), 53,000 miles.

Here she is:

[annnnd no pics allowed cause my post count isn't high enough -.- see attached thumb]

Immediately got her tinted and swapped out the stock halogen headlights for aftermarket HIDs, which are pretty sweet. And so the cars I've owned since 20 years of age are as follows:

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2007 Suzuki SX4 Hatch
2008 WRX Hatch
2012 WRX Sedan
2016 Ford Fusion (company car)
2012 Mazda Miata MX-5 (still got this, not letting her go!)

So aside from the Ford, this is the first FWD I've purchased. Gathered thoughts thus far:

- GAS MILEAGE!! I've never had an average MPG in the 30s before, holy money savings, Batman!
- Exterior styling: Looks sharp, has a nice look for being a daily commuter. I love that practical doesn't have to mean ugly/plain appearance.
- Handling: I'm thoroughly surprised at how agile this thing is in turns. Wasn't expecting that at all.

Dislikes:
- Brake pedal feel: not sure if this is just my car but I'm slightly terrified at how much I have to press down on the brake pedal to get some grab. Plenty of meat left on the brake pads, maybe I'll do a stainless steel brake line swap.
- Steering wheel blocks dashboard display: I like to have my steering wheel pretty low to my seating position, but it blocks the tach/speedo pretty badly.
- Steering wheel feel: very light, which isn't necessarily bad. It makes turning pretty effortless, but I prefer a little more feedback when I'm turning.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the 3, much better for my tastes than the Fusion as a daily commuter. Anywho, glad to be here on the forums. Thanks in advance for all the info you guys provide!

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for taking the time and sharing your past experiences with us, best of luck on the new ones! :)

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Welcome joostin04 to M3R. Nice analysis, and glad you are liking your new car.

Might your issue be a brake master cylinder needing to be rebuilt? If not, like your stainless steel brake line plan. Best of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts