2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ended up with a 2016 5 door 3. Lotsa fun! Now the question - what's the best solution for carrying bikes?

Typically need to tote just 2 bikes. Considering a trunk/hatchback mount rack and a roof mounted option as well (have an old Yakima set up from a previous car).

- If hatch mounting a rack, anything to watch for or avoid? Any recommendations?

- If roof mounting, how/where does the rack attach to the roof? Do mounts attach to something in the roof strip above the doors?

- Any other thoughts or suggestions?

TIA,

Justin

·
Registered
892 Posts
I bought the roof rack initially. but afterwards, I decided I wanted the hitch mount instead.
Curt Hitch (1.25 is the receiver size) it was like 90 bucks or so on amazon.
Installed very easily. I also recommend the Corksport Axle Back Exhaust.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a Yakima round cross bar set up with control towers. I only have 1 road bike to haul around, so I picked up the fork mount attachment for it. Works perfect for me and it make the car look so much better. IMO aftermarket roof racks look much better than the OEM ones.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I prefer hitch mount because it doesn't affect my MPG and if its really muddy, I don't get roof messy.

The only thing, I MIG welded my own rack out of 1.25" square from HomeDepot (parts was $60 including a locking fork mount). The actual hitch is a Curt 1-1/4"

As for roof mount, I'm still torn on the looks when bike isn't on it. If biking was my #1 sport, every other day activity, I would have gone with roof rack!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts