2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 3 i Touring 6MT 2.0L
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I tried searching for things like "valve+cover" and "spark+plug" under Skyactiv (14-18, 19+, and subthreads) but all I got was questions about socket (spark plug) size and whether or not the valve cover gasket needs to be replaced or not...

After a cursory search, I think it'd be helpful to have a few videos with step-by-step tips along with part numbers in the description (they are not my videos). I am getting ready to replace my spark plugs ~75K miles if I recall correctly & have a super mild valve cover gasket leak. Please note, this isn't meant to be a comprehensive list and may overlap with existing tutorials here. Perform any of these procedures using all appropriate safety gear and proceed at your own risk (I am not responsible for damage to your vehicle due to improper installation/removal/replacement/inspection)

Without further ado, a few maintenance and modification how-to's from a guy in Indonesia named "Felix" https://www.youtube.com/c/FelixDanGarasiAuto/videos. The ones regarding maintenance appear consistent with the Mazda shop manual for the Skyactiv-G (1.5, 2.0, and 2.5L)
Looking forward to your builds.

Cheers,
DL

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Nice work, thanks. I watched the video for the valve cleaning. I admit, I skimmed it a bit. I was very surprised how well the cleaner you chose worked and you have my respect for letting it sit in the ports like that. Happy to see a video that isn't just 'spray this crap in the intake'.

I haven't yet found anything that works well for this purpose so I may try and find some of the stuff you used. It'll be a lot easier than the walnut blasting I've done in the past! A good friend of mine will love your method since he doesn't have a large compressor.

How long did you let the stuff sit? You may have mentioned it but I didn't catch it.

Also a suggestion: it can be difficult to determine if the valves are fully closed. I filled one of my cylinders with walnut blast with that stupid move. Testing to ensure they're closed is easy. Put a hand on the ports of a cylinder and blow some compressed air into the spark plug hole. Even a tiny 2 gal will do the trick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts