2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm new on here and I am also a girl. I feel like that's to a rough start already ( lol), but I have to learn and I gotta start some where. Just going to get straight to the bottom of it, but I bought my Mazda 3 2010 in January 2018, I get the oil change when its required and all the necessary things that I need to do for it. The essentials, the basics. Nothing more. As long as it gets me to point A and point B. I'm good. I live in Minnesota (its cold here,...wahhh) , and just two days ago,..when I started my vehicle heading to work. It made a weird sound and it just wouldn't start. All lights and everything turns on, but every time I crank my keys, it makes a funny sound. ( Not a clicking sound) Everything works, radio comes on. Lights. Everything but my engine doesn't start. I'm asking and on this forum because I guess I want to know what it could be by you guys asking me questions and me telling you guys stuff, before I take it in. I don't really have someone to really help me, and I guess I want to understand a little before I take it in? ( to know what the possibility are) When I do have the keys in, the charging system warning light does turn on and the engine oil pressure warning turns on. I thought maybe it could be that maybe i just need an oil change, but I didn't need an oil change till the end of the month? But I also been told that sometimes that doesn't matter because it depends on how you use your car. Any ideas or want to hit me up with questions so we can kinda figure it out, or do you guys think I should just get it towed and have them figure it out. Because I did think of that, but I also want to understand it and I guess not get ripped off when I do take it in. Any inputs would be helpful, and please be nice? Thank you in advance. :|

·
Working Class Hero
3,475 Posts
Welcome aboard.

That noise you speak of, is it sort of a combination grinding and screeching sound? That would indicate a bad starter and has nothing to do with your oil change interval (there's oil in the engine, right?).

More clues, please!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,235 Posts
A 3+ year old battery is greatly affected by the freezing cold winter weather. The cold cranking amps needed to start the vehicle is reduced by: 3+ yr old battery. Get someone to jump start your car and if it starts - - -> buy a new battery

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sounds like a battery problem. You say you crank it-does the engine actually turn over ? The headlights should stay on when you crank the engine over if you have a good battery.

In most cars the warning lights come on before the engine starts to test the warning circuits & globes.

It won't be the oil, unless you find a lot of metal particles on the oil dipstick due to an engine that's failing internally.

I'd take it to a battery retailer that does free battery & electrical checks- in Australia people come around in a van and do this.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Assuming you can get a jump start, you can take your car to pretty much any automotive store (O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, etc.) and they will do a free battery load test for you.

With the details you provided, it does sound like a dying battery. When they go, they go pretty fast.

I really like the Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM batteries. Expensive (like close to $200!) but worth it for cold climates. You can buy them at Batteries Plus where they'll swap the battery for you and even clean your battery cable ends if necessary.

Towing is very expensive. Jump starts are fee, just like advice on this forum. Good luck!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I forgot to add something. Look at your battery and it should indicate on the top whether it is rated for 36-months, 48-months, 60-months, etc. Batteries are made to last for that long and not longer. There should be a sticker on the top of the battery that has little number punchouts to indicate the date the battery went into service. Your car is 8 years old, so you may very well be at the tail end of the 2nd battery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A car needing an oil change won't prevent it from starting. A car should probably start even if it has no oil in it at all. This is extremely bad for the engine though... Like... go buy a new engine after you try this, so don't ever try it. I imagine that modern engines will turn themselves back off if there is no oil, but it should at least start.

Like everybody else is saying, suspect the battery itself. Maybe a neighbor can jump start it with jumper cables if you don't have AAA or some other road-side assistance.

When you try to start the car, make sure everything else is off... The headlights, the radio, the heater fan, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like battery to me as well. Jump start the car and if it stars, go buy a new battery and start there.

I'm in Minnesota as well. If you're in the Twin Cities I might be able to help or recommend some places if you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts