2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Is there a trick in reading the oil dipstick on the 2.5 liter engine? I just changed the oil and in the life of me I'm not sure what the dip stick is showing. There must be a proven technique.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Left the dip stick out and waited around 1/2 hr and this I time managed to get a clear reading.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had this same problem after doing my first oil change. I put in the recommended 4.8 quarts. Oil level was barely at the low mark on dipstick. I asked at my local dealer about this....one of the tech's said they put in 5.2 quarts when they do an oil change. I added about a 1/2 quart. Now I'm showing a bit more than half way up the stick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had this same problem after doing my first oil change. I put in the recommended 4.8 quarts. Oil level was barely at the low mark on dipstick. I asked at my local dealer about this....one of the tech's said they put in 5.2 quarts when they do an oil change. I added about a 1/2 quart. Now I'm showing a bit more than half way up the stick.
Thanks for this. I ended up with 5 quarts of oil before the dipstick registered full and I was under the impression that the capacity was 4.5 quarts. Out of curiosity do you know whether the clips on the oil cover need to be regularly replaced?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are two clips plus two screws that hold the plastic cover underneath the oil filter. To remove the plastic cover I removed the screws & pulled the clips and they both came out. I popped them back in when I reinstalled the cover. Anyway I figured it would be a matter of time before the clips broke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts