2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 mazda 3i I took the automatic trans out cause it was burnt up and swapped it for a manual trans.. I’ve changed the trans,motor harness,shift tower,cables, ecm,clutch petal I did not get a clutch switch which may be part of my problem but the other problem is the security is locked up!!!! Any suggestions on what to do next o btw I’m limited on funds and it’s my work car!! Thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to get around the security and make my car crank!! There was a clutch petal switch in the other car I got the parts from but mine was an automatic so it didn’t have that

·
Registered
446 Posts
Why? Its a legitimate question about a problem with a Mazda 3 and as you have pointed out this is a Mazda 3 forum..so, whats your issue?
Im pretty sure it said he had a 6 when i replied.

I need to get around the security and make my car crank!! There was a clutch petal switch in the other car I got the parts from but mine was an automatic so it didn’t have that
Then you need to do what i said. The clutch switch for the starter can be bypassed (youll just need to make sure you never have it in gear when you start the car), but thats not going to invoke the security starter lock out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't mean to come across as negative, but it would have been cheaper and easier to have had the automatic transmission rebuilt. This isn't the 1980s and earlier when it comes to cars. Computers throw in a new paradigm that (most) shade tree mechanics aren't prepared to handle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to swap to manual and didn’t have money to rebuild they wanted $1500 in my area to rebuild and the car is not worth that to me this is the the reason for this swap!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I wanted to swap to manual and didn’t have money to rebuild they wanted $1500 in my area to rebuild and the car is not worth that to me this is the the reason for this swap!!
You're going to spend more in time and effort trying to get this to work. Just stating a fact.

Not sure where you're located, but (IMHO) basing the repair of a car on the vehicle's market value is a big mistake. Example: According to dealer websites I've been checking (for grins) while shopping for a second car, my MZ3's trade-in value is $375. Let's assume the transmission needs to be rebuilt (note, I had the transmission rebuilt two years ago). "Experts" would say it's not worth it because of the vehicle's value. I would argue that it is, because the engine, suspension, body, etc. are all in proper operational condition. Assuming $1,500 - $1,800 for the transmission to be rebuild, divide that by 261 week days in a year. 261 is a rough estimate of the potential number of days the vehicle could be driven. The prorated cost of the rebuilt transmission comes to $5.75/day - $6.90/day.

Going back to my original statement, and as others have pointed out, vehicles after 2000 or so now have interconnected computer systems which do not play kindly with differing equipment. In some cases, the PCM, ECM, and even the TCM must all come from the donor vehicle and follow the respective engine/transmission combination. Security systems add an additional layer of complexity, not to mention the dash cluster. Breaking down time spent (because even your evening and weekend time have economic value), you're going to spent more trying to get a bastardized system to work than if you'd gone the alternate route. That is, assuming you can get these combinations to work.

I've seen these swaps attempted before where the OP spent weeks or even months chasing a myriad of options to get the combination to work. The worst of them ended up having to install a carburetor (talk about a step back) to get the vehicle to operate.

Good luck in your quest and, if you are able to get this to work, please report how you were able to accomplish the task.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've looked at doing this for a '93 GM car and it's hard even with something that primitive- as Gary_L suggests Mazda's have more sophisticated control systems which seem to be fully integrated with almost everything on each individual car.
If it helps , on the GM car the security was handled by a body control module which talked to the ecm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're going to spend more in time and effort trying to get this to work. Just stating a fact.

Not sure where you're located, but (IMHO) basing the repair of a car on the vehicle's market value is a big mistake. Example: According to dealer websites I've been checking (for grins) while shopping for a second car, my MZ3's trade-in value is $375. Let's assume the transmission needs to be rebuilt (note, I had the transmission rebuilt two years ago). "Experts" would say it's not worth it because of the vehicle's value. I would argue that it is, because the engine, suspension, body, etc. are all in proper operational condition. Assuming $1,500 - $1,800 for the transmission to be rebuild, divide that by 261 week days in a year. 261 is a rough estimate of the potential number of days the vehicle could be driven. The prorated cost of the rebuilt transmission comes to $5.75/day - $6.90/day.

Going back to my original statement, and as others have pointed out, vehicles after 2000 or so now have interconnected computer systems which do not play kindly with differing equipment. In some cases, the PCM, ECM, and even the TCM must all come from the donor vehicle and follow the respective engine/transmission combination. Security systems add an additional layer of complexity, not to mention the dash cluster. Breaking down time spent (because even your evening and weekend time have economic value), you're going to spent more trying to get a bastardized system to work than if you'd gone the alternate route. That is, assuming you can get these combinations to work.

I've seen these swaps attempted before where the OP spent weeks or even months chasing a myriad of options to get the combination to work. The worst of them ended up having to install a carburetor (talk about a step back) to get the vehicle to operate.

Good luck in your quest and, if you are able to get this to work, please report how you were able to accomplish the task.
The swap Is done if I can get this security problem worked out I will be good to go I’ll definitely update!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts