2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading the Mazda 3 Owner's Manual prior to taking delivery of a new Mazda 3 2.0 petrol manual (UK version). After the car is stopped via i-stop, the engine restarts automatically when you depress the clutch pedal or start to release it. The manual then says "NOTE The engine restart timing varies depending on the brake pedal depression force." What does this mean? Does the engine then start more or less quickly if you apply more brake force and what variation is there in the restart time? The engine restart always seemed pretty quick during my test drives.

·
Registered
988 Posts
"NOTE The engine restart timing varies depending on the brake pedal depression force."
I would say disregard what the manual says as sometimes the information inside of it it's not up to date. (I'm not stating the manual is not important, it has very useful information but it definitely doesn't cover and explains eveything)

I've been driving 5 months + with i-stop now , and I haven't noticed any difference on the restart time of the engine when I'm pressing the brake firmly and I depressed it quickly or slowly. Maybe I never noticed it , I will experiment just to check, but so far every restart for me has felt exactly the same :dunno:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ive not noticed any difference on my UK version, regardless of brake pedal pressure.
What I have noticed is that, if, for example, the i-stop is active and the engine is off, and you turn the steering wheel, the engine will restart, I suppose this is to power the electric steering.
i-stop can become irritating in really stop-start traffic - turning off the engine just as the lights turn green.!
I'm not a fan of keeping my foot pressed on the clutch pedal in traffic so I often turn it off in this scenario.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts