2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 2021 Mazda 3 HB Turbo and noticed this high pitch noise going at highway speeds, mostly at 75-80mph. It's like a constant high pitch, and I can sort of hear at lower speeds at like 60-75mph. Anyone have this before? Any idea what the source is or is it normal?

Here's a video:
High pitch noise

Dealer said it's window visors 馃檮, but I took them off and it's still there. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Registered
It may be gear whine from the rear differential. Mine does it a little at approx. 60 mph, any faster or slower and it is quiet. I feel a small amount might be normal in a new vehicle as it breaks in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It may be gear whine from the rear differential. Mine does it a little at approx. 60 mph, any faster or slower and it is quiet. I feel a small amount might be normal in a new vehicle as it breaks in.
Interesting.. at least I've had others say they had the same noise, but everything else does seem normal so hope it just goes away.

Registered
I have this exact problem. I have been to the dealer twice, I was in a loaner for 21 days. They ended up telling me to wait for a TSB Because replacing the diff did nothing. Last time I heard that was when I had an Audi and the TSB never came鈥 take it in if you can. A few people on the FB group have the same issue. I鈥檓 hoping if more people complain a fix will be more likely to come. I鈥檒l paste what the service advisor wrote below.

C/S THERE IS A WHINE COMING FROM THE REAR AROUND
75-80 MPH.
HAS BEEN
TO OREM MAZDA AND THEY STATED
TO DRIVE VEICLE TO
"BREAK IN NOISE"
FOUND NOISE
STARTING AT 70 MPH
TO 80 MPH. CONTACTED HOTLINE
HLCN 21245033
SENT CASE TO A REGIONAL AND AFTER SENDING TO THEM. THEY HAD TESTS TO RUN AND AFTER RUNNING TESTS THEY REQUESTED REPLACEMENT OF THE DRIVESHAFT AND DIFFERENTAIL.
Installed CAT3-27-020
:DRIVING & DIFF.
Installed KF05-25-100
:SHAFT, PROPELLER
KF
Shipping from SO # 11838580
Freight:
Installed 0000-77-SG1-QT
鈥NG LIFE HYP GEAR OIL SG
REMOVED AND REPLACED THE DIFFERENTIAL AND DRIVE SHAFT. FOUND THE NOISE
TO STILL BE PRESENT CONTACTED THE REGIONAL REP AND SENT AUDIO FILES. CASE WAS SENT TO ENGINEERING IN JAPAN. HAVE RELEASED VEHICLE TO CUSTOMER AND INFORM THEM THE NOISE IS A CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE AND A TSB OR UPDATED PART SHOULD BE RELEASED AND CUTOMERS VEHICLE WILL BE ONE OF THE FIRST TO BE REPAIRED WHEN OFFICAL REPAIR IS ISSUED.
MASH1-4274140051

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@richyrocket Wow, thank you so much. I will definitely take it to another dealer.. first one didn't even try to replicate the sound. I'll show your post as well. Hopefully it becomes like a recall

Super Moderator
HAVE RELEASED VEHICLE TO CUSTOMER AND INFORM THEM THE NOISE IS A CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE
LOL....Dealer speak for we have no idea what it is.....
Sounds like a harmonic resonance being produced when air is flowing over or though something on the external surface of the car at a specific velocity, sort of like how a whistle works. Its common with cars that have roof racks and such, sometimes its the seal around a window or sun roof, or airflow around a side mirror, or an antenna.

Registered
LOL....Dealer speak for we have no idea what it is.....
Sounds like a harmonic resonance being produced when air is flowing over or though something on the external surface of the car at a specific velocity, sort of like how a whistle works. Its common with cars that have roof racks and such, sometimes its the seal around a window or sun roof, or airflow around a side mirror, or an antenna.
Yh, I was similarly thinking maybe the small vents that allow air out of the cabin behind the wheel wells, but couldn't think of a way wind would hit those.

Registered
2019 Mazda3 AWD AT
I noticed that same noise on my 2019 AWD hatch while driving on smooth roads at ~60mph (similar to you).
Not sure if it was there before or it got any worse now but it would be difficult for the dealership to reproduce as the highway in that area is quite bad.

Registered
Mine does the same. I never heard it till i put on my new Pirellis. Had a 200 mile trip this weekend and the sound came only only at 74/75/76 mph. If i went above those speeds or below it went away.

I also have the factory aero kit (front splitter, side splitters, rear diffuser, rear spoiler.)

-JE

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have a dealer appt in the morning so gonna prepare to explain them about it, I'm positive they're not gonna figure it out but I'm gonna request they call Mazda regional rep if anything. Might annoy the previous dealer about it when I get time as well lol. Gonna show them everything richyrocket posted... Hoping there'll be some fix soon, it's actually kind of annoying to hear when I'm just chilling on the highway

Registered
In my experience with my car so far, the noise we have had was oddly enough a small rock (gravel) somehow found it鈥檚 way on the caliper and rotor and caused a high pitch squeal. It鈥檚 happened twice. Although my situation is probably unique for a 3 owner, we have a poultry farm and riding down in between houses to check something before riding off the farm and the 200+ feet backing out.
Curious though about vent visors, I noticed a comment was made and after removal it didn鈥檛 change the noise, so they must be silent.

Registered
I have this exact problem. I have been to the dealer twice, I was in a loaner for 21 days. They ended up telling me to wait for a TSB Because replacing the diff did nothing. Last time I heard that was when I had an Audi and the TSB never came鈥 take it in if you can. A few people on the FB group have the same issue. I鈥檓 hoping if more people complain a fix will be more likely to come. I鈥檒l paste what the service advisor wrote below.

C/S THERE IS A WHINE COMING FROM THE REAR AROUND
75-80 MPH.
HAS BEEN
TO OREM MAZDA AND THEY STATED
TO DRIVE VEICLE TO
"BREAK IN NOISE"
FOUND NOISE
STARTING AT 70 MPH
TO 80 MPH. CONTACTED HOTLINE
HLCN 21245033
SENT CASE TO A REGIONAL AND AFTER SENDING TO THEM. THEY HAD TESTS TO RUN AND AFTER RUNNING TESTS THEY REQUESTED REPLACEMENT OF THE DRIVESHAFT AND DIFFERENTAIL.
Installed CAT3-27-020
:DRIVING & DIFF.
Installed KF05-25-100
:SHAFT, PROPELLER
KF
Shipping from SO # 11838580
Freight:
Installed 0000-77-SG1-QT
鈥NG LIFE HYP GEAR OIL SG
REMOVED AND REPLACED THE DIFFERENTIAL AND DRIVE SHAFT. FOUND THE NOISE
TO STILL BE PRESENT CONTACTED THE REGIONAL REP AND SENT AUDIO FILES. CASE WAS SENT TO ENGINEERING IN JAPAN. HAVE RELEASED VEHICLE TO CUSTOMER AND INFORM THEM THE NOISE IS A CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE AND A TSB OR UPDATED PART SHOULD BE RELEASED AND CUTOMERS VEHICLE WILL BE ONE OF THE FIRST TO BE REPAIRED WHEN OFFICAL REPAIR IS ISSUED.
MASH1-4274140051
I have the same issue. More of a low frequency drone though. Like a subwoofer in the car next to you; but at highway speeds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts