2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a used 07 Mazda3 Hatchback. I test drove it and there was a check engine light on. So i had them look it up and it said the car was running lean when idle. So he cleared it and we test drove it again. This time it didn't come on until i purchased the car and I hit the free way. I stopped at the autozone on the way home and was recommenced by them to get some fuel system cleaner, so I did. Today after getting almost on E, maybe a couple gallons left of gas in the car, I went to the gas station, poured the bottle into the tank, then filled up on gas. After I filled up my car and went to start it, it wouldst turn over. So i decided to give it some gas while i turned it on and there we go it started. Then i proceeded to drive home and all of a sudden, no matter how much gas i tried to give it, it wasn't accelerating. So i pulled over and tried to start it like last time. Same issue, had to give it gas to start also. Now I don't know what to do. Please help!

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
If you bought the car from a dealer, contact that dealer.
If you bought the car as is, you're on your own unless the seller agrees to help. Symptoms sound like a fuel delivery issue. Its possible that the fuel pump may be going bad. Sometimes it works ok until it runs a bit and gets hot, then its starts to fail resulting in low fuel pressure and a MIL. That is why the light cleared then came back when you drove it. A check of the fuel pressure will tell. Before you get into that, replace the fuel filter to make sure its flowing freely. I had the exact same symptoms with a car, turned out to be the fuel pump.
You don't have a diagnostic code, but I would guess since you said lean at idle that its P2187, system lean at idle.
Read about it here -
https://www.obd-codes.com/p2187

·
Registered
34 Posts
since the dealer will be closed until monday, you might try the caveman approach as well. IE listen for the pump when turning it from off to run, banging on the tank as someone turns the key and listening again, etc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts