2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
trarmstrong
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it's all the snow we've gotten lately or just my brain and logic overpowering my heart, but.... wait for it.... I've been lusting over a 2014 Subaru Impreza Sport for the past month or so.

Yes, I know. I don't understand it either. Down on power, tech, driving/handling... I don't know what's come over me, but I need you all, the good people of this trusty forum to convince me (especially those that have owned/driven both) to keep the Mazda over the Subaru.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Get a good set of snow tires for the Mazda. Much cheaper than buying another car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The CVT in the Subaru is the worst driving experience I've ever had in a vehicle! Have you driven the Subaru yet?

·
trarmstrong
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i haven't, local subaru in town is pretty crappy.

New Idea - have no idea why I have never thought about it before: CX-5 Touring AWD

·
Registered
102 Posts

New Idea - have no idea why I have never thought about it before: CX-5 Touring AWD
CX-5 Touring = Awesome vehicle! Go for it!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Go for the CX-5, nice vehicle!! Won't be a peppy as the 3 but more cargo and AWD.
To save money on purchasing a new vehicle I'd just go with a set of dedicated winter tires...you will have no issues with the 3.

·
trarmstrong
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went and looked at the Subaru's today, didn't even go on a test drive - couldn't get over the overall cheapness of the interiors. One quick browse over at the Impreza forum and it seems all those guys do is talk about getting rid of rattles and squeaks.

CX-5 would be a nice compliment to my wife's new Honda Accord Sport - probably keep my Mazda3 until autumn and check getting one out going into winter.

As far as winter tires, I'd like to have a more utilitarian vehicle for ski and camping trips but also retain some of the driving fun that Mazda's generally possess.

·
Registered
484 Posts
One quick browse over at the Impreza forum and it seems all those guys do is talk about getting rid of rattles and squeaks.

Yeah, luckily us Mazda owners never have to worry about rattles and squeaks, especially not within the first year of ownership...

... oh, wait...:argh 1:

·
Registered
508 Posts
The CX-5 is well worth looking at for the extra money. We have test driven both the 2.0L and 2.5L and personally I would opt for the GS model to get the 17" rims and 2.5L engine.

As far as your Mazda goes, installing winter tires on it will make it as effective, even more than an all wheel drive with all seasons.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My first mazda3 (gen1, 2.0L, sedan) was horrible in the snow, or on anything but bone dry perfect road for that matte, and it was totally stock. My second mazda3 (current) with traction control and aftermarket wheels and tires, grips like nothing else in just about any weather and seems to be self stabilizing when it starts to get out of control.

Of course, the best snow driving car I've ever had was a 97 Camry on nearly bald tires, it was the strangest thing how you could plow thru anything and not loose control in that car. That thing was a honey badger!

Seriously tho, I test drove an impreza and a forrester after my first mazda3 needed to go... and I hated it fully and completely. it was like wrestling a bear just to get it to go around a corner, and the interior is just terrible. So I ended up with another mazda3.

If you want the all wheel drive, a CX-5 is rated as being one of the most fun (if not the most fun) AWD small SUVs out there. I've seen a few parked at work, they aren't really much bigger than a mazda3.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts