2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Glad to be here and am seeking advice from all you forum experts on my blank key fiasco. I just purchased a shiny red 2013 Mazda 3 (hatchback, skyactive, keyless start), which I love but there is one sticky issue pending which I really need some advice on here from the experts of this forum.

Problem: .......one day after purchase, my car lets me know (via dash message) that my keyless start fob's battery is low. That prompted me to check out the key that is stored in the fob and "what do you know" it is a blank! The car only came with one fob.

I returned to the dealership and they acted surprised as well. (Did I mention it was a Mazda Certified Vehicle). The manager said he thought he knew what happened, something about needing two keys to program, but since they didn't have one, in order to cut expenses they didn't have the blank key cut. He referred me to service, who quoted $$$ for key. ($ for the cutting the key, $ for programming car & fob,etc. I explained that it was a snafu by the dealership and since the vehicle was Mazda certified, they should be responsible for providing me with at least one working key at no cost.

OK, here is where I need a little education on "the whole key cutting, car & fob programming part of the process.

What is actually needed for them to cut a new key for an advanced keyless entry/start fob, if one does not exist? From what I've read on the forums, it seems that in order to cut a key, two keys are needed. Then the car and fob or fobs would need to be programmed again as well. Is that correct? I could be wrong, but I kind of feel that the dealer is going to be a jerk about it, and try to make me pay for their mistake, by charging me for what they should have provided me for the start. (Read...Fair Weather Management)

Just want to have my "negotiating guns - locked and loaded" so to speak, so that I can make sure that they do not try to screw me by providing half-ass solutions. Since the car is a certified mazda, there should be no question of them providing me with a working key. They may need a little prodding to go the extra mile and give me a set of keys. (Again from what I read, I think that I need to have two working keys, if I want to ever get an extra key made in the future. If they have to make two keys anyway, I think that they should just comp me for the extra key and another fob would be nice (wink).

Going to service/dealer tomorrow, so I want to understand the process, so any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ZZ99

(LOL...yes there are most likely many of you readers out there, silently shaking your head at my stupidity for not insisting on a second fob before I signed the papers! Yep..I am right there with you! My only defense is that although I had originally made that a condition, in the long & arduous processes of "making the sale" I got diverted and forgot about it. What can I say in my defense except that it was an exhausting day and my brain was fried by the end of the day.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can't help you with any of that because I am not educated with cars but what I will say is if I were you, I would raise hell if they wanted me to pay for something that should not have happened.

I hate dealerships. HATE THEM.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts