2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, totaled my 2016 civic EX-T 2 weeks ago, almost cried. Now proud owner of a 2018 Mazda3 GT...so here goes

Pretty much a moron when it comes to car audio. I do understand electronics, but my car audio knowledge is limited. Here are my parts:The admins wont let me post links until my post count is higher.

Boss R1100M RIOT Amp

AUDIOBAHN TORQ TQ10DF 10" shallow mount sub

AudioControl LC2i LOC

Now I was too scared to install myself so I had someone do it and I dont think it sounds right, OR I need to taper my expectations. Installer admitted afterwards he had no experience with an "advanced" LOC such as mine, this did not make me feel good.

1. The LOC is installed under my passenger seat, but I'm not sure its working correctly. I cant determine if the bass roll off correction is working properly. The speaker will simply drop some low frequency on some songs or it will be almost non existent. Say maybe 40hz and under, though I cant be sure cause I'm not a real audiophile. I thought the LOC was supposed to compensate for this, or perhaps it's just the sub being a 10' in a sealed slim enclosure I know its geared towards "punchy" bass. Admittedly, Metallica sounds pretty damn good.

2. There is NO independent sub control. The bass level in the stock Head unit controls the sub as well as the doors. I thought this was bypassed with the LOC? (Maybe I'm an idiot). My other 2 subs in my other vehicles had independent gain via a knob that was routed to the dash. I need to check the box, I swear it was supposed to come with one and I'm writing this based on my impressions from the ride home, guess I could route it myself. Installer said he sees no way to control the bass on the sub independent of the stock speakers? He said he doesn't see how thats possible? He said he tapped into the bose amp output which as far as I know is correct based on other installs I've read here.

When I came to get the car he had it tuned with the HU bass at +3/4 which of course blows the doors up. So I turned the bass to 0/-1 and had him make adjustments from there which was basically just maxing out the LOC....

So this is where it stands now:

The Amp is set to about 50% gain. The LOC has the Accubass maxed, the Bass knob maxed and the Main knob is at 0.

I know not to expect the world from this sub/amp combo. I had a underseat powered sub like a kicker hideaway in my civic so I expected it to be maybe twice as powerful as that and it is, but not super clear, I feel its far from dialed in. I do not want to shake the car to death just get the most from the setup so I'm asking you audio freaks for assistance.

Should the sub's levels be controlled independent from the stock speakers? Those of you that have this LOC, can you give me a good starting point to tune and I can make tiny adjustments from there? I know I can just google "tune amp/sub but with this LOC I'm sure I wont get it right. Is there a way to test for the bass drop off? Any help would be great, as the installer was pretty much clueless aside from providing power. I didnt know any of this until he was finished or I would have taken it elsewhere.

Thanks in advance and I'm glad to be here! The car is a blast to drive!

·
Registered
31 Posts
My guess is the installer just took the speaker outputs, not sure if front or back (you can test by changing the fade and see whether the sub volume goes with the front or the back,) and hooked to your LC2i. If he hooked to the back, I think there is a pretty sharp bass cut that no "advanced" LOC is going to be able to restore. Even if connected to the front, the sound is heavily processed for the speakers.
Other problem is that installing that way there is no high-pass filter for the stock speakers, hence you're getting bass out of the door speakers. Having the bass come from 2 places tends to muddy things as well.
Also there is a remote input on the LC2i to control the bass level. I would expect the manual to show how it should be connected (and what type of potentiometer, possibly with a part number, to hook up to it.)
Seems like the installer wasn't that familiar with adding to stock systems at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts