2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 5-door Touring 2.5. In the last couple of months it has developed an ennervating squeak from the rear hatch area. To date I have:

-Lubricated the hatch latch and mechanism
-Lubricated the hatch hinges
-Lubricated the rubber hatch seal
-Lubricated the rear seat latches
-Replaced the liftgate bumpers (in desperation)
-Tightened down the tail lamp assemblies
-Tested with hatch cover, hatch floor, spare tire, and jack removed (still squeaks)
-Tested with thick plastic covering the hatch latch (still squeaks)

If anything, it just gets worse. Seems to be a little bit worse in the afternoon heat, but squeaks on a cool morning, too. Squeaks over slow, low-frequency side road bumps and on fast, high-frequency freeway shimmies.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Do you have other troubleshooting advice? Half my kingdom to whoever helps me fix this.

·
Super Moderator
5,963 Posts
Spray some lube on the suspension bushings and the spring ends. The squeaking could be a sway bar bushing or a dry spring isolator.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Try slam close the hatch and see if that makes the noise.

If so, try to looking any of those plastic parts and see if they are moving.

My car also makes a squeaking noise and I thought it was caused by the hinges or the pushrods. However it was caused by the loose plastic panel. Like the one below:

Sent from my Washing Machine using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No dice on the suspension, but yeah, I think I do hear a little squeak when I slam the hatch. Will check the panel in the morning. What am I looking for?

·
Registered
468 Posts
insert folded pieces of A4 paper (in half or quarter) between any and all panels that touch (including the boot seal, plastic vs glass etc...etc...) if that stops it, remove them one by one and isolate the noise

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The panel that am0s.x mentioned is definitely loose. Seems to have popped out of its connectors, or they're broken (I'm not easily able to pop them back in). Gonna stick a towel in there and see what happens.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No dice on the suspension, but yeah, I think I do hear a little squeak when I slam the hatch. Will check the panel in the morning. What am I looking for?

So basically when you open the hatch, you’ll see that there are a couple plastic pieces that goes around the rear window. Try to press on all those plastic panels inside the hatch and see if any of those are moving. especially the top one which I’ve circled in the above picture. Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The panel that am0s.x mentioned is definitely loose. Seems to have popped out of its connectors, or they're broken (I'm not easily able to pop them back in). Gonna stick a towel in there and see what happens.

Probably because some of the wiring is blocking he way, please try to remove that panel (pull on Each side of the panel towards you) and organize the cables and wires and then press it back in. It does needs some force to get in.

·
Registered
136 Posts

There are a couple clips on the back side of that plastic panel which needs to match the holes on inside of the hatch, so please ensure that there’s no cable or wires are blocking the holes and then hammer the plastic panel back in (I mean gently) :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After a successful towel test, I popped off the panel, re-situated the cables, lightly greased the two metal tabs, added a little more felt padding, and whacked it back into place. Everything but the upper-right clip seems to be locked in there tight. I think I can detect a slight buzz there now but *no more squeak.* Fingers crossed for tomorrow's commute. Meanwhile, thanks a million.

There are a couple clips on the back side of that plastic panel which needs to match the holes on inside of the hatch, so please ensure that there’s no cable or wires are blocking the holes and then hammer the plastic panel back in (I mean gently) :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
After a successful towel test, I popped off the panel, re-situated the cables, lightly greased the two metal tabs, added a little more felt padding, and whacked it back into place. Everything but the upper-right clip seems to be locked in there tight. I think I can detect a slight buzz there now but *no more squeak.* Fingers crossed for tomorrow's commute. Meanwhile, thanks a million.

No problem! Glad that helps! Let us know the results tomorrow! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Squeak is gone! Now I can focus in on the road noise...

Thanks again for saving my sanity. Hope this thread will help other people with the same problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts