Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.6%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until I pick up some new wheels, I figured I'd paint the stock 17" ones because I can't stand the bright silver color they come in from the factory. My buddy has gold ones on his Speed3 and I think they look awesome - but I also like the look of a darker gray color and can't make my mind up!

So what are your thoughts? Here are a couple of mock-ups I created (the final colors will be glossy, not matte), to give you a good idea of what the different colors would look like on the car.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't like gold wheels, but on this instance I would recommend gold as it has better contrast with the color of the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The contrast between the gold and black look a lot nicer. But the dark grey is more subtle.

I personally would go with a different option like Red or Green or Blue. I have a graphite mazda 3 and went Black.

Obviously it's entirely your choice

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Whatever color will bring the biggest smile to your face when, after completed, you see it across the parking lot.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Gold is great with black blue and red cars it stands out and gives it the rally look. im planning on plastidipping mine gold/bronze soon when I get the time and motivation to do it, like you the silver is just meh. I like the factory design though. they should have offered different color options as a dealer add on that would have been nice, same wheel but powdercoated or painted a different color, I may even pay and have mine professionally done depending on the price, if its too much I may just go new rims that are bronze. I like gun metal though too, I cant decide and that's really why I have not yet myself.

Honstley the gold mockup looks great and I would do bronze/gold with red or black colored lug nuts that would look great

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gold is great with black blue and red cars it stands out and gives it the rally look. im planning on plastidipping mine gold/bronze soon when I get the time and motivation to do it, like you the silver is just meh. I like the factory design though. they should have offered different color options as a dealer add on that would have been nice, same wheel but powdercoated or painted a different color, I may even pay and have mine professionally done depending on the price, if its too much I may just go new rims that are bronze. I like gun metal though too, I cant decide and that's really why I have not yet myself.

Honstley the gold mockup looks great and I would do bronze/gold with red or black colored lug nuts that would look great
I think I'm going to have to go with gold. My winter wheels from my STI are dark gray and I currently have them on the Mazda. You can see what they look like in my journal.

...I'm really tempted to get some 18" Speed3 wheels and have them powder coated, but at that rate, I might as well buy new wheels that aren't OEM!

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Taking a look at your pic with the grey sti wheels it looks good but just does not stand out as hey ive made an effort to be different, it says more I bought some wheels the same color as my car because I could. and for me at least, I see to many cars with mod painted factory or aftermarket wheels in black and it just does not stand out anymore its oh just another car with black wheels because every single person does it. That's another reason I like bronze/gold colored ones because it looks like you made an effort to match a color to the car and make it yours.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks pretty damn good to me.

Reactions: Snoshado

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lookin good! Was thinking about plastic dipping my OEM rims bronze/gold as well with the Meteor Gray Mica body color but I pussied out and went basic bitch black. Might have to re-do them bronze/gold soon though
Haha do it! You can't tell from this photo, but the paint I used has metallic flakes in it and it looks incredible. I have a deep hatred for black wheels (and I've had some so I can be a hater!) - they look cheap most of the time and you can tell that the owner just spray painted them.

...gloss black OEM wheels on the other hand... ;)

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,338 Posts
The new 2018 OEM wheels come in a darker graphite color. They go really well with just about any color car you have. Here's a pic of what they look like.

If you can find someone selling their OEM 18" rims you won't even need to paint/powdercoat them.
CK

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts