2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I have my wifes mazda with a 2.5 engine .. we have It set on flexible service where the car will decide when oil change is needed .. I recently noticed that its been 7 month and currently at 22,000 miles since the last oil change and the info center says its still got 30% oil life left.. Now I don't know if this is normal .. but im FREAKIN OUT at 22,000 miles since last oil change..im not sure I hope this dint damage the engine .. I mean I seems fine drives fine ,, we did use full synthetic oil. but im concerened .. did anybody else experience this .. or how far in miles have you driven on the flexible service setting, I mean we drove 22,000 miles and oil life is still at 30%..

Please help , need input, suggestions , advice , comments.

thanks in advance.

·
Working Class Hero
3,705 Posts
First, let's start with the type of driving you've done. 22k miles in 7 months sounds like an awful lot of highway mileage. If that's the case, grab yourself a beer and relax. It's still kind of high, but it's not going to kill your engine.
Next, get it changed and reset the flex. And by all means, keep using the full synth oil, preferably the best you can get. Oil is not the place to cheap out, ya know?

Oh, and a really good filter, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think you're good then. My 2004 Honda was the first to suggest that a 10k mile service interval was normal for such type of driving. You have to figure that documentation is written up by an engineer that wants to be conservative AND a company that wants to see you in for service as often as they can. I'm not saying do this all the time but I am saying that doing it once under ideal conditions probably won't be the worst thing you could do. (And I think you had about as ideal as one could get.) I probably wouldn't try that during the summer if you live anywhere that can get reasonably hot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oil does 3 things in an engine:

1) Lubricates (duh!)
2) Cools
3) Cleans

For #3 the oil has to 'hold' all the stuff that would otherwise be deposited throughout the engine - that's why oil comes out black. If the oil came out golden colored guess where all that stuff would be? While synthetic oil is great stuff, mile for mile you are still producing all that carbon, etc. and asking 4 quarts of oil to keep it all in suspension. If we were talking about a Porsche 911 with 11 quarts of oil having gone 15k miles, I would say 'change the oil'. A 4 cyl. with 4 quarts of oil having gone 22k miles? I would say 'CHANGE THE OIL NOW'. I don't think is doing any damage, but it's certainly not helping either.

I've seen some boutique oil brands claim you can go 20k-25k between oil changes, but even they say you need to change the filter half way through.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds to me like there is something wrong with the service interval calculation. Did they reset the counter during the last service? Because you definitely should not be driving around with oil that is 22000 miles old. So change it ASAP. You don't want to be driving around with degraded engine oil.

·
Registered
327 Posts
And I thought I drove a lot. Dang!

But ya, change it.

At that pace I wouldn't rely solely on the life monitor, or a the minimum spring for a change when it hits 50% or 60% or something

·
Registered
174 Posts
OP - yes, change your oil now!

Not to be a wise guy, but just curious... Why would you trust your car's computer to tell you when it's time to change your oil when it seems you already know when it should be changed based on some level of common sense & past experience?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm sure you'll be fine especially with a newer engine. If you want to ride it that long I would make it a habit to check the oil level and the oil condition. At that amount of miles in an older engine, you'll probably start having oil filter issue, oil flowing issue because of the filter , burning oil, dirty oil. I don't know why you would even try to ride it that long especially a change is only about 100 buck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a few thoughts here. The first is that its good you changed your oil. The second is I am hoping you sent a sample out for analysis. Not because you should be worried but because it would be a great tool for all of us to see what came back. The third is that I agree you were probably okay.

Its good that you changed your oil because its better safe than sorry and oil changes are cheap/easy. The tuner/car guy in me would always lean towards a cheap bit of "safety of mind" to help stave off any potential expensive repairs later on. Even if this does nothing bad, I cant help but think it will help to postpone any engine issues by changing oil more frequently.

I also understand that engines and oils have come a long way over the last 20 years. Its hard for some of us to break the 3000 mile mindset but nobody needs oil changes all that often anymore. I had a 2003 Nissan 350 Z track edition and the local Nissan dealership told me to go 10,000 miles on any decent synthetic (Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc). My Honda Element and Civic also both had 7,000+ listed in their manuals. If you add to that the knowledge that there are better oils out there I think its safe to say that at least 10,000 is safe. I spoke with someone at Mobil and a rep for Motul at the Long Beach Grand Prix. Both confirmed that a good oil like a Mobil 1 extended perf or a Motul should have a lot left at 10 or even 15 thousand miles. This, of course, depends on the type of driving as well. They both also confirmed that our fear of sludge (buildup) is from a long time ago. The new formulas and engines can handle long changes. If your computer said it was fine, it was probably fine. That being said, check levels a lot. Like, rotary frequency.

Mobil has also launched that new 1 year/20k mile oil and revamped their filter to match. They said they made it because of these concerns that we all have with the longer intervals. Since a standard synthetic could go 10k on my old Z, I think this could work on a new car. I drive about 20k a year and might try it out. Only changing once a year sounds pretty cool but I do have some serious hesitations as well. If I do it I will chronicle it and post the oil changes on Youtube with a sample test at the end. I actually think that this could be very real, but I tend to drive hard in the canyons at least once a week so I dont know how it will hold up to occasional abuse.

Reactions: Chimphappyhour

·
Registered
147 Posts
Actually, the main reason that oil darkens in-service is oxidation, which is related to time and temperature. If you heat motor oil in a frying pan, it will steadily darken, eventually to black. There are plenty of other chemical reactions going on in the oil in your sump related to the blowby gasses. GDI engines like our SkyActive do put more particulates (microscopically-small carbon particles) in the oil than port-injected engines, but this is not most of the oil darkening.

Dave

Oil does 3 things in an engine:

1) Lubricates (duh!)
2) Cools
3) Cleans

For #3 the oil has to 'hold' all the stuff that would otherwise be deposited throughout the engine - that's why oil comes out black. If the oil came out golden colored guess where all that stuff would be? While synthetic oil is great stuff, mile for mile you are still producing all that carbon, etc. and asking 4 quarts of oil to keep it all in suspension. If we were talking about a Porsche 911 with 11 quarts of oil having gone 15k miles, I would say 'change the oil'. A 4 cyl. with 4 quarts of oil having gone 22k miles? I would say 'CHANGE THE OIL NOW'. I don't think is doing any damage, but it's certainly not helping either.

I've seen some boutique oil brands claim you can go 20k-25k between oil changes, but even they say you need to change the filter half way through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts