2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've never done any sort of suspension upgrades on a car before and I'm looking for some help deciding what path to take. I've read about everything I can find on the forum about different methods but nothing really seems to fit what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to decide between coilovers and springs. I don't want to stance or slam my car, but I do want some drop with a good ride. I also may participate in a few autocross events throughout the summers, but I'm by no means looking to seriously compete, more for fun. I've seen a lot of recent chatter about the raceland coilovers but there seems to be some concern over durability and they don't seem to have adjustable dampers. It also seems like the road magnet springs are the trusty go to for simple lowering but I'm concerned about ride quality and wear and tear on stock components.

I would rather not drop 1000 bucks on coilovers if it's not going to be worth it, but on the other hand I do like good quality components and don't want to sacrifice ride quality too much. If anyone can help provide some input on what might be best for me it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The chatter about Raceland is because you don't have to drop a $1000. Ajustable dampers are overrated unless you autox. Good coilovers with separate adjustment for both compression and rebound cost $1500 minimum. $1000 coilovers with a single adjustment have very limited damping adjustability. It's for these reasons that I just said the hell with it. I'll take my chances on the non adjustable damping Racelands. They come with a two year warranty too. Wait for the Raceland review, then decide if you want to drop $400 or a $1000. If they suck i'll be the first to say it. They'll be up for sale in a minute on M3F if they do.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Coilovers allow for more versatility with regard to ride height and dampening. Not to mention you could run those at basically stock height, or slammed. There are more benefits to running coilovers than not. #1 easier to install #2 can reuse your factory setup if you don't sell it without wear of the factory struts. #3 cost about the same if your lowering the car with new dampers and mounts. #4 can ride as good or better than stock.

In the end it is up to you, but after much consideration you will thank yourself by running coilovers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning towards coilovers anyways and this just reaffirmed my thoughts. I will definitely be eagerly awaiting your review the the RL coilsovers Warlord :thumbup 1:

Reactions: warlord
1 - 4 of 4 Posts