2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tl;dr:
My display backlight failed after installing AIO tweaks, why did this happen and what do I do?

Last Sunday I installed a set of AIO tweaks, and all went well for the night. I woke up the next morning to find a dead screen, although the system was still active as it was responsive with bluetooth connection. I did the standard system reset - nothing.

I took it into the dealer for service, and they found that the backlight had failed. If a flashlight is shined on the screen, you can see the interface emitting from the LCD panel. I'm waiting for the necessary part to come in.

1. Could this be a software bug, or did the internal backlight really fail?

2. I've searched this forum up and down (plus many others), and can't find another case of this happening. Is it just an odd coincidence that the backlight burnt out right after I installed the tweaks?

3. Is there anyway to fix this before waiting for the part to come in?

The only thing I can think of that may have caused this is the boot animation. I changed it to "Car Flash", which emits a very bright white light in a strobe like pattern. I don't see this being a high possibility, but I don't know what else it could've been. I'd appreciate it if anyone else out there has any idea as to what might've happened.

·
Super Moderator
5,949 Posts
tl;dr:
My display backlight failed after installing AIO tweaks, why did this happen and what do I do?......................

I took it into the dealer for service, and they found that the backlight had failed. If a flashlight is shined on the screen, you can see the interface emitting from the LCD panel.

The dealer found the problem and ordered a new part. What more do you want?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out the dealer’s initial diagnosis was wrong and it was AIO that caused this. The display backlight itself was fine, because they changed the display out completely and the backlight was still disabled. They’re now replacing the computer itself since there appears to be no fix.

I started this discussion because I hadn’t heard of this happening either. I wanted to bring it to the attention of others, including those that work on the dev of AIO, so we can see what went wrong.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are you sure you don't simply have your parking or headlights on?

It sounds to me like you simply needed to adjust your cluster lights dimmer knob to disable the display dimmer if you are going to leave your parking/headlights on all the time (daytime). I think you might want to find a more competent dealer...

Read more here. I really doubt that AIO had anything to do with your screen brightness!

·
Registered
8 Posts
the reason of backlight failure looks like hardware. your mazda connect screen's floresans has been gone. if I were you, I made mazda service fix it in guarantee.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts