2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bose amp went out (at least, so I assume), so I decided to replace the HU with a better one (there was a cheap one in there when I bought it) and 4 new door speakers.

I ran 4 new speaker wires (16ga) from behind the HU to under the passenger seat in order to tap into the output wires (18ga?) from the amp (which is now gone). I'm still using the factory harness for all other connections, just not for the 4 speakers. For reference, I'm using this amp wiring diagram: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4852&d=1322114483

So far, I've only actually replaced one speaker: the front right. I wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly before removing the other door panels and splicing everything...but I'm not getting any sound. Nothing. No pops, no crackles, no hum...nothing. The HU powers up and the display implies that sound is being passed. I've verified that I've spliced the correct wires from the output block under the seat (red for positive, dark blue for negative, which matches what was connected to the original Bose speaker in the door).

So, any thoughts as to what I'm missing or did wrong? I'm am confident that it's not a bad connection, but if that's the only possibility, I suppose that's it. There were originally 4 wires attached to the Bose speaker and I figured the other two (red with green stripe and blue with yellow, see picture) were for power, so I just left them unattached. Surely they have nothing to do with it?

Should I bypass the vehicle adapter altogether and just splice the ground, 12V, illumination, etc directly? I don't see how it would make any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Front Right speaker wiring in door

Front Right speaker wiring under passenger seat (spliced to amp output as per diagram linked above)

the four (front and rear door speakers) new speaker wire runs that are spliced directly the HU harness (12V and ground use the vehicle adapter)

·
Registered
19 Posts
on the front doors, those other wires run to the tweeters on the pillars, or instead of being connected to the power from the radio you could just be connecting your door speaker to the tweeter with no power being ran into the two.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on the front doors, those other wires run to the tweeters on the pillars, or instead of being connected to the power from the radio you could just be connecting your door speaker to the tweeter with no power being ran into the two.
I don't think that was quite it, since connecting them to just the "other" wires didn't do anything, either...but tying them all in together did the trick (and I probably should have done it in the first place). Thanks for the suggestion!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts