2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

About 3 months ago I got the AE bumper for my car and it made me fall in love with the car all over again. I've found a few more additions for the body and now I'm worried about engine upgrading. I have a 2010 mazda 3I 2.0 4cyl and I'm wondering about the possibility of adding a turbo to it. I've been looking around and the parts/upgrades for this car are vague or maybe hidden?? (Lol crazy the cars been out for over 7 years and no one's made shit for it.)

I've even considered pulling the engine out and dropping a k22 or something to it lol. Better tranny and such... The amount of metalwork that would need to be done would be ridiculous let alone gutting the undercarriage to make room for a drive shaft and exhaust lines.engine mount placement and welding lol. I love the look of this car and it's got some pretty good ideas/planning coming up to make this car so much more then the basic stock ass brick it is...

Before all the cutting and removing of components that I like about the car I am wondering about possibilities of the stock engine and making it perform the way mazda used to make their engines back in the 90's/early 2000's. I know for a turbo I have to reinforce basic shit... lol forged pistons/rods, better injectors ect. But is there parts any of you guys have been able to find that can make this little lady run with the bigger kids.

Read ALOT of forums stating that it absolutely cannot be done, or the engines too weak, or roll it off a cliff and buy a real car... but I've seen some crazy shit here in colorado like a truck being built from 3 different vehicles so I know it's not truly impossible...

Any help or "useful" advise would be greatly appreciated and atm cost and planning are the only issue. The cars grown on me too much to just let it go lol. (as petty as that sounds)

Thanks guys

(ALSO this is my first post so if it ends up in the wrong section I apologise ahead of time...)

·
Registered
16 Posts
i've been looking at going turbo too for a while now. the only site i could find with a turbo kit was by gp-werks but not too sure about it. the description is a cut and paste for the other turbo kits for mazda 3 (i.e. 1st gen, 2nd gen, 2.0, 2.3 etc) and the parts list don't give name brands for all parts (so can't verify quality) so i'm not sure i want to drop $3300 on that kit. other than that you could go custom. i've read a few posts saying ms3 exhaust manifold could be put onto the 2.0 so could downpipe with some adjustments to the length. Supposedly the 2.0 engine and manual transmission could handle 250hp for sometime with a spot on tune, it'll hold more with forged internals. people are going to say you just get a speed3 because trying to turbo a mz3 will cost more than just trading your car in and you the gains won't be worth it compared to modding an ms3.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
in theory the turbo setup off a speed 3 should fit on the 2.0 you would need all the turbo parts blow off valve pipes intercooler etc. and the hood from the speed 3 if you wanted to do a top mount inter cooler but you would also need the speed 3 intake and exhaust manifolds the 2.3 setup in the speed 3 is capable of 268hp and like 250 ft pounds of torque stock, the focus rs uses the same motor with a bigger turbo and gets 350hp out of it, so the smaller displacement engine wont see near as much gains but you could get a lot more out of it. most of the internals are shared and many actually don't need upgrading. im not as sure on the internals of the 2.0 but the 2.5 shares a lot with the mzr turbo from the speed 3 (all 3s from 04-13 non skyactiv use same blocks just bored/stroked differently to make them bigger the 2.5 was the biggest) I have the 2.5 and it shares the counterweighted crankshaft the forged pistons and valves the molybdenum coated crank and cam shafts and a lot that's reinforced and ready for more power the 167hp but my auto tranny I don't think is built to handle much more then stock power, hell people say they get burnt fluid stock, let alone more power on top of it. but I change the fluid very often anyways. long story but I wanted a manual had a manual hatch 08 3 with the 2.3(not speed) and loved it, but could not find a good used manual to replace it rust and other major issues on all of them I looked at (not all where rusty but all had some sort of major issue I was not willing to pay $10k+ for a car and then drop over $1000 right after to fix something keeping it from running or running well. anyways found this one 11 hatch 2.5 GT leather, bose, sunroof, heated seats tech package with the fancy hid lights and led tail lights its an enjoyable car even being auto. im looking to get a faster car later this one is a daily so it nice to have a reliable cheap car for that right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What is you did a full engine swap with a speed3? could that be an option. It's something I've been thinking about for my 2.5l Mazda 3.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
What is you did a full engine swap with a speed3? could that be an option. It's something I've been thinking about for my 2.5l Mazda 3.
that's another option and all the mountings would be the same so it should be drop in and hook up

·
Registered
16 Posts
a speed 3 engine swap wouldn't just be a plug and play process. there's less room in a mz3 bay compared to a speed 3 and you would also need to move over the ecu, transmission, etc. and you can't use the hood off of a speed 3 either because the speed 3 is wider than the 3. you would either need to go fmic, cut out a hood scoop in your current hood, or change the hood, fenders, bumper for speed 3 parts. all of that is just unrealistic. someone who did it would do it for the sake of saying they could. the money wouldn't be worth the swap when you could just buy a speed 3 and call it a day. Best option for making power in your 2.0 is using the turbo, exhaust manifold and down pipe from a speed 3 and buying everything else somewhere else and getting a good tune.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
a speed 3 engine swap wouldn't just be a plug and play process. there's less room in a mz3 bay compared to a speed 3 and you would also need to move over the ecu, transmission, etc. and you can't use the hood off of a speed 3 either because the speed 3 is wider than the 3. you would either need to go fmic, cut out a hood scoop in your current hood, or change the hood, fenders, bumper for speed 3 parts. all of that is just unrealistic. someone who did it would do it for the sake of saying they could. the money wouldn't be worth the swap when you could just buy a speed 3 and call it a day. Best option for making power in your 2.0 is using the turbo, exhaust manifold and down pipe from a speed 3 and buying everything else somewhere else and getting a good tune.
That's what I meant, however the frame rails of the 2 cars are exactly the same so motor mounts and everything else will not need new holes drilled, he would need a speed 3 hood or a remote mounted intercooler for this to work with his regular 3 however, because the speed 3 hood is taller and thus allows more room for the turbo components its not just "plug and play" no engine swap is even 2 of the same engines ecu reprogramming/replacement is a given with any engine swap yes the tranny would need to be swapped to and that means he would also need ms3 cv axles but for the most part the components (ie the engine block, tranny, wiring ecu would drop into the same spots, the turbo setup would be problematic as stated above he would either need a taller hood or front(remote) mounted intercooler. for the most part everything is shared between the 2 cars. and if your thinking the speed 3 has more lateral room in the bay it does not, I have worked on many of these cars and the speed 3 has the taller hood to allow for the turbo setup but has the same lateral room inside the bay. the fenders are slightly wider but not by much and should not need to be cut to achieve an engine swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went into a few tune shops and searched around. Almost all of them told me the 2.0 2000cc engine could not be tuned. I found it hard to believe as it needs programming anyways but I'm not too savy when it comes to the ecu... had ALOT of ideas about just using the exhaust off of the hatch too but can't really seem to find a 4cyl engine... (might be retarded lmao). ALSO had the realization that the focus from this year is practically the same so was digging for ford parts that could be used. Would a piggyback ecu remedy the "nontunable" nature of this car or was it a load of shit from the shops... I mean I could put one on it but without telling the way what do to with all this extra air it'll damage it far beyond maintainability anyways. Thought about just getting the hatch but that's too easy and kind of a cop out haha. Put a bumper on it (not sure if meantioned) and honestly with some work this cars gonna be sexy af. It'll just be terrible to drive a "sporty" car that is as good as a Saturn when it comes to getting it's shoes on the ground lol. (Not bashing saturns...)

(Kinda....)...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I meant, however the frame rails of the 2 cars are exactly the same so motor mounts and everything else will not need new holes drilled, he would need a speed 3 hood or a remote mounted intercooler for this to work with his regular 3 however, because the speed 3 hood is taller and thus allows more room for the turbo components its not just "plug and play" no engine swap is even 2 of the same engines ecu reprogramming/replacement is a given with any engine swap yes the tranny would need to be swapped to and that means he would also need ms3 cv axles but for the most part the components (ie the engine block, tranny, wiring ecu would drop into the same spots, the turbo setup would be problematic as stated above he would either need a taller hood or front(remote) mounted intercooler. for the most part everything is shared between the 2 cars. and if your thinking the speed 3 has more lateral room in the bay it does not, I have worked on many of these cars and the speed 3 has the taller hood to allow for the turbo setup but has the same lateral room inside the bay. the fenders are slightly wider but not by much and should not need to be cut to achieve an engine swap.
Actually I have an AE bumper on it from ebay and this HUGE grill would be incredible for a intercooler. And I mean it's a manual so if a tranny swap isn't necessary I don't want to. It's a 5 speed so I'm not sure how much it can take but I hate autos so that's not a major worry lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No. I would love to put a 6 in it but that was just a thought. Everything is already there lmao. But as posted later the speeds are narrower and slightly taller. But the engine bays are bigger for everything else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry guys, been gone a while and REALLY appreciate any and all imput.

Alright so I just learned that the ms3 and mz3 are both i4s? I was always led to believe that the mazdaspeeds were v6... So in theory I would need to pull the intake and exhaust off a speed 3 to get the ports needed for the turbo?

Finding a better crank and cam as well (which I had heard Japan had these xD). Also I really understand the importance of forged shit as I went to a car meet and watched someone's wee little Honda melt down. But can seem to find any. Would a cylinder bore be something to maybe look at or do any of you guys know about how strong these cylinder walls are.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Actually I have an AE bumper on it from ebay and this HUGE grill would be incredible for a intercooler. And I mean it's a manual so if a tranny swap isn't necessary I don't want to. It's a 5 speed so I'm not sure how much it can take but I hate autos so that's not a major worry lol.

if you were to swap the ms3 engine you would need the ms3 tranny too. I've read the 5-speed tranny can't handle more than 250bhp.

Sorry guys, been gone a while and REALLY appreciate any and all imput.

Alright so I just learned that the ms3 and mz3 are both i4s? I was always led to believe that the mazdaspeeds were v6... So in theory I would need to pull the intake and exhaust off a speed 3 to get the ports needed for the turbo?

Finding a better crank and cam as well (which I had heard Japan had these xD). Also I really understand the importance of forged shit as I went to a car meet and watched someone's wee little Honda melt down. But can seem to find any. Would a cylinder bore be something to maybe look at or do any of you guys know about how strong these cylinder walls are.

yeah they're both 4 cylinders. i haven't heard a lot about boring our engine. we have an aluminum block with steel cylinder sleeves so I don't know if it would even be possible, i could be wrong though. there aren't many after market engine parts for the 2.0l, pistons and rods were all i've been able to find but the cost of rebuilding the engine are too high for the end result. a turbo build would be the most cost effect way to get more power out of your car.

sorry for responding to this thread so late. I'm in the same boat with you in trying to get more power out of the 2.0l and i'm just trying to share what i've already looked up so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts