2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a deal lined-up for a full set of 2006 MX-5 17-inch oem wheels for $200 total. I'm set to pull the trigger tomorrow. First time doing this, so I'm both excited and a little nervous. :newhere:

Here's what I have for specs, but wanted to make sure these will fit my gen3 Mz3 hatch:

rim size: 17x7
offset: 55 mm et (Will this cause any problems since my 16" oem steelies have a 50 mm et?)
bolt pattern: 5 x 114.3
center bore: ? (assuming it's 67.1 mm, since it's Mazda oem)
weight: 17 lbs (Can this be right?)

How does one confirm on the spot that the specs for the wheels are right? Measure with tape measurer? Anything else I should be looking for (besides bent rims)?

My apologies for all the nervous noobie questions. :blushing:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got a deal lined-up for a full set of 2006 MX-5 17-inch oem wheels for $200 total. I'm set to pull the trigger tomorrow. First time doing this, so I'm both excited and a little nervous. :newhere:

Here's what I have for specs, but wanted to make sure these will fit my gen3 Mz3 hatch:

rim size: 17x7
offset: 55 mm et (Will this cause any problems since my 16" oem steelies have a 50 mm et?)
bolt pattern: 5 x 114.3 (I'm assuming, since it's Mazda oem)
center bore: ? (assuming it's 67.1 mm, since it's Mazda oem)
weight: 17 lbs (Can this be right?)

How does one confirm on the spot that the specs for the wheels are right? Measure with tape measurer? Anything else I should be looking for (besides bent rims)?

My apologies for all the nervous noobie questions. :blushing:
well damn, that craigslist ad is why I asked all these questions on this forum yesterday about miata wheels haha. He just told me they're no longer for sale, so I'm assuming that's you. but go for it - definitely a good deal and he says there are no dents, no major damage, just minor rash on the edges, nothing on the faces. I'm not 100% ready to buy new wheels yet since i'm starting grad school so they're all yours. please post pics when you install them and lmk what you do in terms of spacers/tire setup, etc! i may join you with miata wheels in the future.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well damn, that craigslist ad is why I asked all these questions on this forum yesterday about miata wheels haha. He just told me they're no longer for sale, so I'm assuming that's you. but go for it - definitely a good deal and he says there are no dents, no major damage, just minor rash on the edges, nothing on the faces. I'm not 100% ready to buy new wheels yet since i'm starting grad school so they're all yours. please post pics when you install them and lmk what you do in terms of spacers/tire setup, etc! i may join you with miata wheels in the future.
Awww, man. I'm sorry. Had no idea you were local to me and looking at the same set of wheels and certainly didn't mean to snatch them away from you. I just called him about 90 min. ago, and we set a time to meet. He never mentioned another buyer. :blushing:

I'm new to all of this, too, but will definitely keep you posted on how they look/fit, if I need/want spacers (due to the 5mm diff in offset), etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Awww, man. I'm sorry. Had no idea you were local to me and looking at the same set of wheels and certainly didn't mean to snatch them away from you. I just called him about 90 min. ago, and we set a time to meet. He never mentioned another buyer. :blushing:

I'm new to all of this, too, but will definitely keep you posted on how they look/fit, if I need/want spacers (due to the 5mm diff in offset), etc.
GL!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, guys. Just picked up those OEM 17x7 rims from the 2006 MX5, and my wallet is now $200 lighter. Everything looks good, just need to give 'em a thorough cleaning before stretching some Conti ExtremeContact DWs over them and having them mounted.

A couple of questions:
1. No hardware included in the sale, so do I need to purchase new lugnuts, or can I just use the OEM hardware that's now on the car?

2. Spacers... my OEM 16x6.5 steelies have an offset of 50 mm, while the new 17x7 alloys from the MX5 have an offset of 55 mm. I figure that the new (to me) 17s will fit w/out a spacer, but... will having them 5 mm further in significantly affect the appearance? This has been discussed above in the thread already, but am wondering what folks think? (Right now, I'm leaning towards mounting them w/out the spacers.)

OK, time to go shopping for tires....

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can use the lug nuts you have. As for spacers, the wheels will look better on the car with them.
Wow, that was quick. Thx! :smile2:

Any practical advice on the spacers? I've never purchased them before, but assuming I should get 5 mm for these particular rims.

Also wondering what material, brand, other specs that I might have to figure out?

·
Super Moderator
6,184 Posts
I had eibach spacers. 10mm (that I have in my FS thread) will require you to install longer studs for the nut to safely hold the wheel. 15mm, with pressed in studs, will probably get you closer to flush w/o having to roll your fenders. JBR sells 5mm spacers. I got my Eibachs from Edge Autosport.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thx @mazdaspeedmyk

Am now considering 5mm spacers offered by:
-JBR (steel, $80 for 4)
-H&R (magnesium/aluminum, $138 for 4)

@sin_loki, I see from another thread that you recently bought 5mm spacers. Might I bother you by asking what you took into consideration when doing so? (If you're too busy to answer, no worries.)

EDIT: Has anyone used Ichiba wheel spacers?

Also, some folks recommend longer studs even w/5mm spacers. Thoughts?

EDIT #2: MOVING THIS DISCUSSION TO A SEPARATE THREAD

Mods: feel free to lock/close this one

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
thx @mazdaspeedmyk

Am now considering 5mm spacers offered by:
-JBR (steel, $80 for 4)
-H&R (magnesium/aluminum, $138 for 4)

@sin_loki, I see from another thread that you recently bought 5mm spacers. Might I bother you by asking what you took into consideration when doing so? (If you're too busy to answer, no worries.)

EDIT: Has anyone used Ichiba wheel spacers?

Also, some folks recommend longer studs even w/5mm spacers. Thoughts?
I made 5.5mm spacers to clear the front shocks, it was a one time thing, made from scrap aluminum.

I almost bought these but I was able to swing the custom ones for cheaper.

regards to extend studs, it depends.. I run around with the stock length studs, but the fact that there is not a lot threads on the drive wheels in there now makes me nervous, and I plan to beat the snot out of the setup in two weeks, so I having extended studs put in to get rid of the what if.

It's not a good thing if your wheel beats you on the road.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I made 5.5mm spacers to clear the front shocks, it was a one time thing, made from scrap aluminum.

I almost bought these but I was able to swing the custom ones for cheaper.

regards to extend studs, it depends.. I run around with the stock length studs, but the fact that there is not a lot threads on the drive wheels in there now makes me nervous, and I plan to beat the snot out of the setup in two weeks, so I having extended studs put in to get rid of the what if.

It's not a good thing if your wheel beats you on the road.
Many thanks for responding @sin_loki, as well as for the feedback. Yeah, the stud length makes me a bit nervous. Ichiba includes extended studs even with their 5mm spacer kit.

Thanks for the link to the Customadeonly site. I'll look into that. :thumbup1 1:

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Curious did you buy from a guy named Rajan with a blue miata? He just sold his wheels a few days ago and bought some new rims. @nanxun I'll reclose the thread in a bit

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Curious did you buy from a guy named Rajan with a blue miata? He just sold his wheels a few days ago and bought some new rims. @nanxun I'll reclose the thread in a bit
Actually bought them from a fellow named Garrett--a big, burly-ish guy with a beard hailing from Haymarket, who drove a Wrangler and told me the rims were from his gf's MX5. Doesn't sound like Rajan. Very happy with how the wheels cleaned up, but still shopping for tires and spacers before mounting.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Ok cool better see them soon!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.