2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
252 Posts
It's modest at best:

From OV Tune on my 2017 Mazda 3 GT Auto (2.5)

I crunched some numbers from the raw spreadsheet log, but then confirmed it with the MazdaEdit...specifically looking at the Dyno - Speed and Distance Tab.

Stock :

3000 - 5000 RPM took 6.858 seconds
80 - 120 KPH (50 - 75 MPH) took 5.927 seconds

Final:

3000 - 5000 RPM took 6.715 seconds
80 - 120 KPH (50 - 75 MPH) took 5.787 seconds

Sorry... but trimming 0.15 seconds for $600 has to be the worse investment ever :(
Why would you purchase a OV tune for your stock 2.5 matic ( no mods) and expect the additional 20HP to turn your car into a rocket. OV website was clear on what gains to expect with or without mods. With some research ,,, expected performance gains with mods + OV tune. In your case i would have used the $600 to swap the automatic for a Manual 6 speed.

·
Super Moderator
5,330 Posts
It's modest at best:

From OV Tune on my 2017 Mazda 3 GT Auto (2.5)

I crunched some numbers from the raw spreadsheet log, but then confirmed it with the MazdaEdit...specifically looking at the Dyno - Speed and Distance Tab.

Stock :

3000 - 5000 RPM took 6.858 seconds
80 - 120 KPH (50 - 75 MPH) took 5.927 seconds

Final:

3000 - 5000 RPM took 6.715 seconds
80 - 120 KPH (50 - 75 MPH) took 5.787 seconds

Sorry... but trimming 0.15 seconds for $600 has to be the worse investment ever :(
Maybe you should tell the whole story before you start bashing others....
That was the guy who didn't have a clue how to use the software or do proper data logging, and thought he was going to get big numbers from an 89 octane tune by using 91 octane after the tune was done......so he got out of the tune what he put into it - which was absolutely nothing, and did nothing but complain about it, even though the results were entirely his fault.....
I did a real tune, 93 octane, did proper data logging, and got good results. My car went from about 8 seconds to 7.2 0-60, timed using a scanguage and repeatable, not using the Mazda Edit software, and is far more driveable across the entire RPM range.
Oh, and the other reason why Matt stopped doing Mazdas is because too many idiots expected miracles, right now, didn't do their part during the tuning process, and wanted his full attention all the time. Not worth it for a couple hundred cars when the Toyota market is many times that...

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
252 Posts
@arathol Would a track app being able to do a 0-60 time reading or even be capable ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay here is a dumb question. Since I'm assuming we are talking manual shift, wouldn't how quick you are to shift as well as possibly the clutch plate make a difference as well in that tenth of a second difference? So why spend the money on a "Tune"? Or maybe I'm missing something here. (Probably)

·
Super Moderator
5,330 Posts
Okay here is a dumb question. Since I'm assuming we are talking manual shift, wouldn't how quick you are to shift as well as possibly the clutch plate make a difference as well in that tenth of a second difference? So why spend the money on a "Tune"? Or maybe I'm missing something here. (Probably)
Because the clutch won't provide a 30 hp power increase.......

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
252 Posts
As arathol has said. A tune brings increased HP. How fast it gets delivered to wheels depends on the load on the engine. The less work the engine has todo by moving parts
( water pump/radiator, AC, Alternator, pulleys, belt, timing chain, intervals like oil thru the oil filter, valves/cams/lifters/springs, spinning the flywheel ) the more HP gets to the wheels. A better Clutch (stage 1 or stage 2) results in less slip and faster delivery. So a better clutch wont increase overall HP but decrease the HP loss.
So if you want to increase HP and decrease HP loss to the wheels ( for example 2012 sky 2.0L has 155HP (factory claim) and 129HP at wheels (Corksport Dyno results).
That is a 18%-18.5% HP loss. Add a CAI (Corksport claims) +5 hp gain. But you are still losing 18%. Adding racing pulleys may net an extra 8-10HP (i would say 5HP) but also reducing HP loss %. You can reduce flywheel weight from 40+lbs to 12.8 lbs Exedy race flywheel, hence reducing more HP loss. Basically engine is spinning less weight so less load, less loss. So a flywheel and stage 1/2 or 3 does not add hp but reduces loss delivering existing HP faster. So ,, 18% loss at OEM specs add race pulleys and lighter flywheel your loss could move to 10-12% ( now at 139 HP or more at the wheels). The weight of your car is also a load on your engine. With every ounce or pound of weight removed from a vehicle, the car will possess a better horsepower/weight ratio enabling the vehicle to accelerate faster, improve handling characteristics, reduce braking time.
Many ways to increase HP without a Tune.

Reactions: Cliffmoney

·
Registered
31 Posts
As arathol has said. A tune brings increased HP. How fast it gets delivered to wheels depends on the load on the engine. The less work the engine has todo by moving parts
( water pump/radiator, AC, Alternator, pulleys, belt, timing chain, intervals like oil thru the oil filter, valves/cams/lifters/springs, spinning the flywheel ) the more HP gets to the wheels. A better Clutch (stage 1 or stage 2) results in less slip and faster delivery. So a better clutch wont increase overall HP but decrease the HP loss.
So if you want to increase HP and decrease HP loss to the wheels ( for example 2012 sky 2.0L has 155HP (factory claim) and 129HP at wheels (Corksport Dyno results).
That is a 18%-18.5% HP loss. Add a CAI (Corksport claims) +5 hp gain. But you are still losing 18%. Adding racing pulleys may net an extra 8-10HP (i would say 5HP) but also reducing HP loss %. You can reduce flywheel weight from 40+lbs to 12.8 lbs Exedy race flywheel, hence reducing more HP loss. Basically engine is spinning less weight so less load, less loss. So a flywheel and stage 1/2 or 3 does not add hp but reduces loss delivering existing HP faster. So ,, 18% loss at OEM specs add race pulleys and lighter flywheel your loss could move to 10-12% ( now at 139 HP or more at the wheels). The weight of your car is also a load on your engine. With every ounce or pound of weight removed from a vehicle, the car will possess a better horsepower/weight ratio enabling the vehicle to accelerate faster, improve handling characteristics, reduce braking time.
Many ways to increase HP without a Tune.
Wait, does exedy's race flywheel fit the oem kit? I know they make an oem replacement clutch kit for us.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
252 Posts
You will have to check the Exedy website to see what fits your car. My 2012 2.0L MT5 non skyativ is on exedy race flywheel and stage 1 clutch .
Products for: 2010 MAZDA 3 I 4Cyl 2.0L - EXEDY Globalparts - Performance and OEM Clutches and Flywheels . Skyativ 2.0L start in 2012 and does not show that raceflywheel fits that engine.
If you still not sure ...call them.

Wait, does exedy's race flywheel fit the oem kit? I know they make an oem replacement clutch kit for us.
You will have to check the Exedy website to see what fits your car. My 2012 2.0L MT5 non skyativ is on exedy race flywheel and stage 1 clutch .
Products for: 2010 MAZDA 3 I 4Cyl 2.0L - EXEDY Globalparts - Performance and OEM Clutches and Flywheels . This race flywheel will fit 2009-2012 non skyactiv 2.0L.
Skyativ 2.0L start in 2012 and does not show that raceflywheel fits that engine.
If you are still not sure ...call them.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts