2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just picked up 2016 3s GT 6MT last week. Today the dealer added the factory appearance package (pricey but nice) and removed the pin stripe for me so i decided it was time to post an intro.

I come from a 2003 Subaru forester that i still own and love. It's pushing 200k and runs like a champ still. I'm hoping for the same type of reliability from this Mazda 3, minus the oil consumption/HG issues. I've also owned an RX-8 2008 40th anniversary edition for awhile that was a blast to drive - never had any issues with it but only owned for 30k or so.

So far, the Mazda 3 is great! Driving it definitely gives the feeling of driving a sports car, and the 2.5 has enough giddyap to have a little fun, especially with the manual. The interior is a notch above the segment if you ask me. The Bose stereo in this thing sounds great for my needs and the infotainment is well thought out. Love the red light camera warning - but it did get "stuck" on one occasion where the lady would not shut up for about a minute - a red light camera was at the next light, but i was sitting at the light prior. Hopefully just a fluke.

Anyhow, very happy with the car - so much to like, especially for the compact segment. thanks already for some of the info posted here. I plan to tweak the infotainment system soon using the helpful info here - as soon as my ethernet/usb adapter comes in the mail.

recent (lousy) pic of my subie....

PS: the car looks way better without the pin stripes!

·
Working Class Hero
3,570 Posts
Congrats, sir. She's beautiful.

Now, since we have the same car, where in the hell is the red light camera warning hiding in the menus?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Gerry - just went out and checked - go into navigation, then navigation settings, then into warning settings and you'll see it.

Thanks fellas. Mods I did tonight are the door sill protectors - these are cheap ebay knockoffs (domestic shipper at least) and are decent - no complaints. Went on smoothly using a heat gun to get everything willing to stick and bend (slight bend required for rear doors).

Also added some yellow tint I had laying around from the Foz to the fog lights. Again heat gun works wonders for this. It's not a pro job, but no one will know unless they inspect the fogs with their head under the front grill. Looks great from anywhere over a foot away.

I have a black Mazda zoom zoom sticker coming in mail that i'm going to add to the rear window (should add +10 whp :laugh2:) - and that's about it for now.

Oh yeah, i've gone crazy with protectors on the interior...Got the OEM rubber cargo mat on ebay for $60 - looks great and feels like stuff wont slip on it - my foz cargo mat is like friggin teflon! Also got cheap black floor mats over the OEM mats for now, seat back kickers for when my son rides, and a car seat mat for when i actually transport him in this car. Also, a plain black steering wheel cover to protect the wheel, but i think i've gone too far with adding that - the wheel should be fine and the cover takes away from the zoom-zoom feeling of the car. I am a pretty sweaty S.O.B. though, hence my concern about the wheel.

minor "mod": small piece of the hook side of velcro brand velcro tape (blends in better than generic stuff) right around the CD player area so i can mount my phone there - it fits perfectly and no one would ever know the velcro is there unless pointed out.

Edit: i've also been reading up on the orange virus tuning - that will be hard to ignore until the warranty expires, but thats the plan for now.

Attachments

·
Working Class Hero
3,570 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out today. And the door sills look surprisingly good!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Gerry I know that red light feature is disabled in some areas, but i can't imagine it being state to state.

Here's some lunch break pics....can see the yellow fogs in the first pic...

Trunk mat...

interior w/ skid plates...note the floor mats over the floor mats....and the ridiculous wheel cover - can't decide to leave it on for protection or remove it so it a)looks good and b)feels 10x better to drive. I'm leaning remove.

you can see velcro if you look hard...

Child proofage....my son has gotten pretty good about seat kicking after a lot of reprimanding, but hey, why not. Note that it's easy to conceal both straps. Can't see them up front. PLus that child seat cover is nice for throwing stuff in the back when the child seat is not installed (which is most of the time, use the foz or wife's volvo for most child stuff)

Question - anyone gone to a roadside patch kit/pump vs the spare donut? Considering doing this to get some weight savings back, especially with all the covers and crap i've added. My RX8 had one but i never used it.

-

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nice pics! I thought about taking the spare out, but it seems to be holding up the cargo floor (at least it is on the sedan). I think the cargo floor would collapse without it, as its pretty flimsy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts