2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning!

I am Rob, and I just purchased my first new car ever last night; a Mazda 3 Hatchback Manual GT in Machine Gray. I have been looking at Mazda 3s for almost 10 years now, but I have always purchased cars used, to keep prices under $10k, and the used Mazda 3 prices always seemed too high, and the styling just got uglier and uglier over the last few years. Well, I am 43 now. I used to be a musician by night and grocer by day, but I went to college late and got an engineering degree and have finally been successful the last few years. I was driving an Odyssey minivan, which I must say is a really nice ride (all stigmas aside, minivans are very practical and comfortable). I had the cash to buy the 3 outright, and the 2017 models are QUITE NICE, so I went for it!! Let me tell you, the feeling is AWESOME! I did my first commute into work this morning, and now I do miss my automatic, but I did a lot of thinking about that manual before I decided to go with it, and I very much missed my first car, which was a manual hatchback (best lil car I ever had!), so I'll just need to get used to being more active and engaged when driving the manual. I bought the car for the thrill of driving, PERIOD! Okay, who the hell are we really fooling? Cars are for getting from point a to point B.

I almost went with the Mica Black color, and I've had four different Atlanta dealers looking to find the right one (2017, 5-door, manual, GT) and make me a deal over the last month, but at the last moment I changed my mind to the Machine Gray color because of the way it contrasts better with its various silver and black accents. It is going to look AMAZING this afternoon after it is tinted! I ended up finding only one in Atlanta that was the gray GT manual hatch, and it had only eight miles on the odometer and was perfectly clean (not passed around from dealer to dealer and test-drive abused). Thanks to Mazda in Roswell for bringing the price down from $25,030 to $23,300 and then knocking down the price another $500 for the interest loan vs the 0% loan, so that my out-the-door price was about $24,775 (docs, delivery/destination, tax, tag, title all included). I figure I paid about $2,500 less than I would have paid at MSRP.

"Wait, you said you paid cash!" Mazda used to have a cash incentive for paying cash instead of financing, but on the 2017 models they have now reversed that and only offer an extra $500 for a 0%APR and $1000 for an interest loan. How is this actually better than paying cash? PAY off the entire balance (minus say $100) on the very first payment! This way you do pay about $90 in interest on that first payment (after that first payment there is nothing left to charge you interest on), and you get $1000 more dollars knocked off the price than if you didn't finance at all. Mazda gets a kick back from Chase-Manhattan (if you wait to pay off the last $100 until the third month), and everybody wins!

Now, this first problem I noticed this morning is my "Passenger Airbag Off" light is on while I am the only one in that car and nothing is sitting on the front passenger seat. I think it is only supposed to be lit up if there is some small amount of weight in the passenger seat or it is malfunctioning. It does go off when I sit in that seat, but it does bug me a bit that it stays lit up like that when no weight at all is there (it's supposed to be not lit up in that situation, after all it is a warning light). I don't want to bring it back to the dealer to look at this little issue, because, well, I'm very particular about NOBODY works on my car unless I just cannot do it myself. I've already read that this has been a common symptom over the years, as a result of many causes, so I hope someone here might know of a single common cause for this particular symptom (works with passenger, malfunctions without passenger). Poorly calibrated weight sensor? I did try moving the seat around, in case it had to do with seat position. No avail.

Okay..... what a helluva long introduction!
Looking forward to tweaking the infotainment center!

- Rob

·
Registered
988 Posts
Congratulation on your new car!!! By the way great color selection!!! The new machine grey colors looks awesome!!!
I'm positive members here will be able to clarify the tiny issue you are having right now !!! Meanwhile Happy riding :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Rob! I'm also in atlanta and I just got a 2015 3. I already swapped out the halogens for LEDS and next on the list is android auto, and trying to figure out how to add a front camera for tight parking spaces

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Welcome Rob! Congrats on your new 2017 beauty!

Re your airbag dash light being lit saying "passenger airbag off", as per the attached screen print from the Owners Manual, I think that is the way Mazda intends it to be, that if there is not a passenger in the passenger seat, yet an accident that triggers the driver's airbag, it would not needlessly cause expense nor pontential other issues by triggering the passsenger airbag system. While I only screen-printed one section of the OM, there is more info there in the section immediately before this one that might be useful. The light staying on, as I read the manual, means that there is not a fully weighted person in the passenger seat and thus it would not activate that seat's nor that side's airbag in an accident. And when you sat in the passenger seat, the light properly went off, meaning in an accident the car would trigger the appropriate passenger seat airbags.

It is kind of a goofy notification system, that the light which alerts you the system is off/is not ready to go off, the light itself goes off only when a fully weighted person is sitting in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Road Trip. Since I am nit-picky, especially with a brand new car I expect to be perfect, then your answer puts my mind at ease; that the car is doing what it is designed to do, and so does not need to be fixed! Funny: I just sat down at my desk at home to read my manual, and quickly checked in here for any updates. It was very helpful of you to go straight to the Mazda gospel (the manual) and even copy in the pertinent information!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Rob! I'm also in atlanta and I just got a 2015 3. I already swapped out the halogens for LEDS and next on the list is android auto, and trying to figure out how to add a front camera for tight parking spaces
That white looks really sharp!! So, how did you swap out the halogens for LEDs? Did you have to replace the entire headlight housings as single units? I'm betting that is not cheap at all!! I too would like LED, if that is the difference between those with or without the glowing ring around the headlight.

·
Registered
988 Posts
That white looks really sharp!! So, how did you swap out the halogens for LEDs? Did you have to replace the entire headlight housings as single units? I'm betting that is not cheap at all!! I too would like LED, if that is the difference between those with or without the glowing ring around the headlight.
Depending on the trim that your purchased it might not be necessary on your car, since some 2017 Mazda 3 in higher trims configurations have LED headlights and Fog Light installed as standard and as far as I know the headlight lights are not replaceable (The only way to replace a headlight is by changing the entire headlight unit) :nerd:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts