2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all New Mazda owner. Just picked up a 2012 Mazda 3i Grand Touring skyactiv. I was hoping I can get a little knowledge. Love the car but only one thing that is driving me nuts. There is a slight pull to the left when accelerating and staying at a constant speed. I took it back to the dealer today and they are telling me that there is nothing wrong with it just wanted to know if this is normal. I never owned a Mazda before Thanks

·
Boost or Bust.
11 Posts
well, most ppl think an alignment is supposed to be exactly straight, truth is a good alignment is offset slightly to the left to make up for road crown "road crown is they way streets and highways are made so that water will flow off the road". the idea is that the shape of the road and gravity want to pull you to the right, but offestting the toe to the left will make the car pull left, which in a perfect world will cancel each other out and make your car straight. if your alignment was exactly straight then the road would pull you to the right and you would complain your alignment is off. to my knowledge not all road crown is exactly the same. and then there are also roads that have little or no road crown where your car may pull more. this COULD explain what your experiencing,if cruisin on the highway and it just slowly kind of wanders out of the lane, then i wouldnt be worried. aside from that you could have hit a monster pot hole and knocked your toe out of alignment. which on a new car is kind of difficult to do but not impossible, this is also an easy fix, take it to a tire shop and have it aligned and dont let them talk you into paying for balancing the wheels because an unbalanced wheel will cause a whole set of different problems, but never pulling. so, even under the worst circumstance possible your really only looking at around 100 dollars and an hour and half of sitting in the waiting room. but always do the easiest thing first, which in this case would be to make sure all the tires are evenly inflated.
goodluck, and if you figure out your problem i would really appreciate your feedback, to make answering this kind of question that much easier in the future.

·
Boost or Bust.
11 Posts
sorry theres one crucial piece of information i forgot to mention. the middle of the road is the highest point or the crown and then both sides slope down. so for example your average one lane each way residential street, the crown of the road is going to be along the divider line in the center. since in this country we drive on the right side of the street we are pulled to the right and therefore the alignment is always offset left. and never right. its funny how we dont really consider things like road crown, but without it water would pool in the roads, and driving in the rain would be deadly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, Just came back from the dealer and they are telling me that it has to do with the torque in the car witch I understood but then its there all the time on and off the gas pedal. Also when you look at my steering wheel its not centered its turned to the left slightly when the car is going straight the head mechanic is telling me that’s normal and there is nothing he can do about that. So to put my mind at ease I asked to test drive another 3 with all the same specs they had no issue with that gave me the keys off I went. Let me tell you what a difference it felt like a totally different car. Steering wheel was centered and no pull went back and told the master mechanic and all he did was set me up for a appointment for next Thursday to see what they can find out. I will update after I find out more. Thank You

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's anything but normal to have a crooked steering wheel...try another dealership. Or call Mazda directly, document the dealership issues, and push Mazda to push that dealer to fix it.

·
Dustin L.
524 Posts
I once had a vehicle that just had an alignment done along with a new set of tires. Took it to three diff alignment shops and all said it was spot on. Come to find out it had a radial pull from the tires. All the tires were brand new and the same brand and style. Try swapping tires around and see if it stops.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Well yes and no if it was torque you would be experiencing pulls to the right! Alignment could be the cause of it if you hit a big pot hole like ibhuff said but even if it was a new car it shouldnt matter if its harder to knock it off alignment! Like DL2011MS3 said could be sometimes your tires but sometimes it also depends on the pressure differences on them as well but forget that if your car is new. But if you say that the steering wheel is crooked then there you def need to take it to another dealership like liquid says cause that sounds like a complete lazy shop if there not gonna bother to help you especially a brand new car! Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I contacted Mazda directly today told them my issue and they documented it. Mazda told me to take it to a different dealer so I contacted a dealer that Mazda gave me to call. They will not look at the car that it only has 600miles on it that its to new. But they did tell me that it shouldn’t be pulling to the left and the steering wheel should be centered. That I have to go to the dealer where I purchased it that it haven’t even been 30 days since I purchased the 3. It turned out that the two dealers have the same Mazda representative so they are not able to work on my car go figure. So I have the appointment on Thursday to see what’s going on. Thanks for all the input

·
Boost or Bust.
11 Posts
yeah your steering wheel being crooked is obviously not normal, dont let them give you the "its not a big deal" because its going to greatly reduce the life of your tires, and with tires running about 100 dollars each thats a big deal! your paying for a brand spankin new car! MAKE them fix this. you have every right to be upset with the situation so far, i would be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok well here it is after the dealer had no idea what was wrong with my car. I took it to firestone and found out that all the tires where not balanced and one of the tires where bad. Firestone stepped up and balanced all the tires and also changed the bad one no charge all because I have a firestone credit card they wanted to make sure I was taken care of. All I can say is what a difference wow that was my pulling issue. Just turned out to be a bad tire DL2011MS3 you where correct. I took the car back to the dealer showed them that it was fixed. All they could say is so why did you come back its fixed. I would not recommend them for any type of service Just wanted to say thanks for all the help from everyone on Mazda 3 Revolution if it wasn’t for all of your help My 3 would be still running tike trash

1 - 10 of 10 Posts