2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just took delivery of a blue reflex mica Mazda 3 a couple weeks ago. Two questions right off the bat:

1) This forum has 2004-2014 in the name. I assume 2015s are still welcome here? :001_smile:

2) The second question I was gonna ask in the infotainment thread but since I'm here... I am trying to SSH in to disable the speed restriction and reduce the auto-dismiss time as documented at mazda3hacks.com and elsewhere; however I'm unable to ssh in. I have version 33 so WiFi is currently disabled.

I bought one of the three "known good" USB-to-ethernet adapters listed at mazda3hacks. I plug this into one of the USB ports, and connect it via cat6 cable to a macbook's ethernet interface. The green and yellow lights both illuminate on the USB-eth adapter. But when I do ifconfig the laptop is not getting a 192.168.x.x address on that port as expected. I'm getting 169.254.212.xxx and when I run nmap the only IP address discovered is the laptop. I've tried this with two different MacBooks.

Is there anyone else out there with a 2015 that's been able to ssh into their infotainment system?

Cheers and thanks in advance

obdave

·
Registered
133 Posts
2) The second question I was gonna ask in the infotainment thread but since I'm here... I am trying to SSH in to disable the speed restriction and reduce the auto-dismiss time as documented at mazda3hacks.com and elsewhere; however I'm unable to ssh in. I have version 33 so WiFi is currently disabled.

I bought one of the three "known good" USB-to-ethernet adapters listed at mazda3hacks. I plug this into one of the USB ports, and connect it via cat6 cable to a macbook's ethernet interface. The green and yellow lights both illuminate on the USB-eth adapter. But when I do ifconfig the laptop is not getting a 192.168.x.x address on that port as expected. I'm getting 169.254.212.xxx and when I run nmap the only IP address discovered is the laptop. I've tried this with two different MacBooks.

Is there anyone else out there with a 2015 that's been able to ssh into their infotainment system?
You can't connect it directly to the MacBook ethernet port unless you can set an IP address on the MacBook in the proper range and subnet. The car has a default IP address and I'm not sure what that is.

The easiest way to do it is connect both the car and the computer to the same router, which will assign each a working IP address. The logistics of this are not usually fun though–I had to use a 50ft ethernet cable running out to the parking lot !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, duh.

Now that you mention this, it makes perfect sense.

I have a spare router somewhere and I'll dig that out and bring it down to the garage. I guess I'll only need to do this once if I enable wi-fi.

Thanks very much!

obdave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Ok, here's a quick update: so I had a little extra time today, so I dug out the spare router and brought it out to the garage. Still no love. I can connect the MacBook into one port and the Mazda USB dongle thing into the other, and all the link lights come on for the Mac's port but not for the Mazda 3. Tried swapping the cables to make sure it wasn't a cable issue. I do get a 192.168.1.x address on the Mac, but nmap doesn't find the Mazda and it does not show up in the DHCP clients table. That part makes sense if it's a link issue.

I noticed that the link lights also do not light up on the USB dongle when connected to the router, but they do when connected to the Mac. That's gotta be a clue.

I also found a procedure for enabling the Mac's build-in DHCP server, but I couldn't get that going either.

Gah.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Watching this thread intently since I only own a Macbook Air and no Windows computers in the vicinity. Need to understand if these downloads and hacs can really work with a Mac (pray tell)!:dunno:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi everyone!

Ok, here's a quick update: so I had a little extra time today, so I dug out the spare router and brought it out to the garage. Still no love. I can connect the MacBook into one port and the Mazda USB dongle thing into the other, and all the link lights come on for the Mac's port but not for the Mazda 3. Tried swapping the cables to make sure it wasn't a cable issue. I do get a 192.168.1.x address on the Mac, but nmap doesn't find the Mazda and it does not show up in the DHCP clients table. That part makes sense if it's a link issue.

I noticed that the link lights also do not light up on the USB dongle when connected to the router, but they do when connected to the Mac. That's gotta be a clue.

I also found a procedure for enabling the Mac's build-in DHCP server, but I couldn't get that going either.

Gah.
Which dongle did you buy? Maybe it needs to be plugged in when the system boots up (do a hard reset by holding Mute + Nav + Back)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which dongle did you buy? Maybe it needs to be plugged in when the system boots up (do a hard reset by holding Mute + Nav + Back)?
Hmm. It's an interesting idea. Though you would think if Windows and OSX can handle a USB-Ethernet interface suddenly showing up, that Android would too..? But I'll give it a try later today.

The dongle I bought is this one, which uses the AX88772 chipset and is reported to be a known-good dongle on the Mazda3hacks website.

danyn said:
Watching this thread intently since I only own a Macbook Air and no Windows computers in the vicinity. Need to understand if these downloads and hacs can really work with a Mac (pray tell)!
I guess I haven't read the Infotainment thread yet for all the nitty details, but just to ssh in and modify settings, you can do all that on a Mac. I guess I'm not all that worried because I also run Win7 in VMWare Fusion. :beerchug 1: Anyway, stay tuned!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, got it going. I tried to run some more tests but my spare router is dead now. I am guessing it was already dying when I tried it earlier.

I remembered that I had run ethernet down to the garage a long time ago, and the cable was long enough to reach the USB dongle. So I was able to put the Mazda on my home network, and then look it up in the router's DHCP table. I was able to successfully SSH in, enable WiFi, disable the speed restrictions, and shorten the time of the warning message. Hooray!

When I get a chance I'll read through the whole Infotainment thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For those that dont have the router and spare 50' ethernet cables, there is another way. :)

Download and install Wireshark (mac or PC). Make sure the car is completely OFF. Once Wireshark is installed and up and running and listening to your interface that the cables are connected to, turn on the car, and just watch wireshark for about a minute or two (actually using wireshark is an exercise left to the user, but youtube is a good place to start).

I would guess that when the system boots up upon receiving power it will start to ARP. When it does that you should be able to get the MAC address and the IP as well. If you don't get the IP address, or don't see it, you can try running

arp -a

from a terminal window (OSX/linux/Windows) and look for the IP address that is NOT yours. Then if the IP is on a different subnet from you you can temporarily change the IP addr on your machine to be in the same subnet of the IP of the car and ssh in that way.

HTH,

Krampus

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're way out of line, Krampus. That cable is 25 feet, tops! :devil:

Thanks very much for the suggestion - I had completely forgotten about Wireshark. It's been a long time since I've had to debug a network, but that's a great idea.

So far I'm really enjoying the Mazda. It replaced two cars, and I finally got those sold off. so it's nice to be back down to a single vehicle. Filled up the tank in Orange County and got 38.8 mpg driving down to San Diego. Not too shabby for a car with 800 miles on it.

BTW, I did once own a Mazda RX-2 many many many years ago. It was pretty well used-up when I got it, but it was a blast while it ran.

Cheers,

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts