2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

HeatShield Windsheild Reflector

4K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  marsdog 
#1 ·
Would anyone be interested in pooling resources to get a discounted price? Back when part of the AcuraZine website, we pulled together for a group discount. I think we got them down to $26 or $27 per shield.

#6 ·
I just use the "disc shades" you can get at walmart for less than $10. They might not do as good a job as being tailor made to cover every inch of glass, but I love that they fold into a compact size that can be stored in the passenger seat pocket.

#11 ·
Yes, that is a big plus. The OME screen is not nearly as compact, but since I rarely have backseat passengers, it's not a problem. When I do, I still have an old double disc thin mylar screen in my trunk and that fits neatly in the passenger seat pocket. All in all, I think the OME screen is great, allows little if any sunlight to get through, which no other screen I've had can come close to.

#7 ·
The OEM shade does look pretty flimsy. I think I'll go for something a little more substantial, like the Heatshield. It's 100 degrees today and my poor car is baking. I usually don't mind waiting, but this isn't going to do me much good if it takes a month or two to put together. I'm definately interested though.

#10 ·
I would have joined you, as I was going to purchase the HeatShield, instead I purchased what I believe is the exact same shield from the dealer (using the discount card) so I paid the HS price, but got the Mazda3 logo emblazoned on it :). I highly recommend it, it fits perfect, and really blocks the heat. That combined with the tint, and even on the hottest SoCal day, it's never overly hot when I get inside... the black leather heats can sear if I forget to put in in!!

#12 ·
I took some temps at lunch (12:30pm). The car's thermometer showed 100 degrees outside.

Glass (outside of car): 120 degrees
Steering wheel: 150 degrees
Dash: 170 degrees

These are rough numbers based on several temperature samples. This is in my car with the 25% tint. Pretty insane to think your car is roasting for hours in those conditions every day.

#13 ·
Are those numbers with a windshield screen? I think that would cut it dramatically. What I do, in addition to the tint and windshield screen, is open the back vent on the moonroof and open the slider cover about and inch to give the hottest air along the roofline a way out.

#17 ·
ya, rain? what is that? :blink 1:

#18 ·
I just bought the Mazda one. The car sits in the parking lot at the train station a lot, and my wife doesn't like to crack the sunroof because of dust in the near constant wind.

I've got to talk her into marsdog's tint job!

PS - Love the OEM heatshield

#19 ·
Yeah, Like I mentioned, my "ceramic" tint is much lighter than most (hardly darker than OME), yet block a ton of heat! When I have the window down and feel the heat on my arm, then put the window up, a huge difference!
Talk to Hamid at Sunshield in Van Nuys or thereabouts! $225 I think I paid.

#20 ·
Bump to see if anyone is interested in the group buy. I don't know if Glennk bought one already but I'm still in need of a heatshield.

I bought a target sunscreen just to try it out and because it was cheap but returned it immediately because of the awful fit.

Group buy for heatshield:
-Argon
-Glennk?

#21 ·
I bought a custom-fit aftermarket one from ebay for $36 shipped. I paid a few dollars more, but I'm happy with it so far. One thing I don't care for is the ends tend to curl a little from it being rolled up. I'm guessing they all do that though. I'd really like to have a custom-fit that acordian folds.

#26 ·
Its true, accordian folds are easier to store... when I got custom fit shield (from dealer) I was a bit bugged it wouldn't fit into the seat back pocket when rolled up, but then I simply realized that 98% of the time I'm the car by myself, so I can just toss it in rolled up the back seat. When I have a back seat passenger, I just toss it in the hatch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.