2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is basically if anyone knows whether heated power folding leather seats from the highest trim (2014-2016, or even the new, more comfortable 2017 seats) would fit into a 2016 iSport. Would there be a way to power the seats or install the heating element switch? Plug and play like the fog lights, or maybe requiring some wiring? The seats sell for a reasonable price, and I might find some at the junkyard. I just became a mazda owner with a new 2016 red hatchback and that would be the first change I'd like to make to the car.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Welcome @selfassembled. Good questions. One place I would start is the parts book, and determine whether the seat parts numbers, including seat tracks are the same. You might visit your parts department and tell them you are planning on doing this, but need their help. I find a box of donuts opens many doors.

If a parts person is willing to help, or if a member has the relevant pages of two different years of parts books, the next issue is does Mazda use the same wiring loom/connectors in every car -- whether or not they have heated seats. Depending on that answer, you either have "whew," or a "damn, need to also change out the wiring loom" going to that area of the car, or, get a new power source and bring it to each seat.

Unless a member has done the conversion you are looking at (and good idea to put your question in a new thread), this is going to take some time sleuthing out.

One other avenue is to visit a upholstery shop or car conversion shop that install heated seats for those cars that do not have. I got great ones installed in one of my cars, have worked perfectly for years, for $500. Such places would probably know whether the easily power supply is there in your car, ready for you to tap into, or back to the battery or fuse box to get a power source.

Hopefully a forum member can chime in and help you out in this thread!

Best of luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, from the wiring diagram it seems everything is identical, I just need to figure out where to put the switch.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am interested as well. I have an iTouring and would love to get some seats for cheap and have them be plug and play. The fog lights are and i think the shark fin antenna is too but i am not 100% on that. Mazda tends to use the same wiring harness. I'd have to find an SGT and look under the seat as the connectors. If the connectors are the same then i'd say just get the OEM buttons and panel.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I bet the wiring harness and floor brackets are the same, but I don't know about the software. It might all be plug-and-play, but you could put the seats and switches in and then might find that you need a software update from the dealer.
If you had a wiring diagram, you should be able to hack a switch for the heater elements, but if the controls for the seat position are on the canbus and not the motors, then you are back to the dealer for a software update for that as well. OR maybe you could replace the power seat controls with the hardware from the original seat.
There is a thread here from a guy who swapped a GT instrument into a base model. He made it work perfectly, but I couldn't understand the software stuff he did. you might find the same thing with a seat swap.
The only risk is that you'll be stuck with an unusable seat, but there's too many possible critical failures there for me. YMMV. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be very surprised if the powered seat controls route through the canbus, and didn't just go directly to where they needed to go. The heater switch would be more complicated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd be interested to see how this turns out. I'm currently in the process of buying a Mazda 3 (my first) - and am leaning towards GT mostly because of the heated seats. I know I can add them to a Touring model - but I put them in my current ride 12 years ago and they aren't near as fast or powerful as my wife's Subaru heated seats - which were factory installed. If you find an easy - and more importantly cheap - way to do this, please let us all know!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I opted for the 2017 Touring - which comes with the Leatherette seats. At least with 2017, I didn't need to go to GT level to get heated seats! But, I'm sure there are more than a couple of folks from the northern climes that would appreciate a relative easy, if not plug-play method to get to heated seats. I've done the "remove the fabric and apply the heating elements" route - and it's not hard, but the 'hog rings' used by many manufacturers to hold the fabric to the frame are a real bear to release and then re-apply. And I didn't find the aftermarket heaters to be as effective as the factory ones in my wife's Subaru Forester with fabric seats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts