2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
I honestly feel that we all got SCREWED by both CorkSport and James Barone Racing because they released a SRI for our cars without any protection for it.

I'm willing to bet my left nut that if you heat soak two Mazda 3s on a dyno with the hood closed, with one having a SRI and one with the OEM air box, the stock car will make more power then a scorching HOT SRI that is then forced to suck in HOT AIR.
That is absolutely what I've been thinking all this time. A properly built cold air box or isolation shield (like the pics you posted) is your best solution with the SRI. In both instances, it would help if you had a way to draw in cold ambient air around the isolated area. One way would be to use the stock front inlet duct as I did on my Gen 2 here. I posted the power loss one would expect from heat:

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...cold-air-box-ideal-skyactiv-cold-air-sri.html

Another would be to lead a tube from the fog light cover area (drilled out) up to the box/ isolated engine area.

Reactions: Moto-x_Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, heat shield in place and I am seeing about 5 degrees higher intake temp than outside. It was 60 today and I recorded 64.4 degrees through the torque app. That is quite a bit cooler than I was getting with just the SRI. I would be curious what readings other people get once they do this since it is much better than I expected it to be. At this point I would really recommend the mod.

On a side note- does anyone know how accurate that app is?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've decided to go with the Injen CAI instead of creating my own heat shield, so i'll be selling my Corksport SRI for $150 if any one is interested.
I am going to go the same route but I am going to the K&N SRI which features a heat shield.

Too bad corksport lags on response regarding the box etc.

Reactions: Mazdaman1776

·
Registered
14 Posts
Coming Soon?

I have a CS SRI on my 2014 Mazda 3 s GT and have had no issues with it. However one does have to ask why they did produce a heat shield with pre 2014 models and why other manufactures include one with their SRI's. So out of curiosity I emailed Cork Sport and got this response.

We are currently in development of a cold air box for your car! It should be available in the next couple months!

Let us know if you have any questions!

Cheers,
Brandon Johnson
Cork Sport Mazda Performance

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a CS SRI on my 2014 Mazda 3 s GT and have had no issues with it. However one does have to ask why they did produce a heat shield with pre 2014 models and why other manufactures include one with their SRI's. So out of curiosity I emailed Cork Sport and got this response.

We are currently in development of a cold air box for your car! It should be available in the next couple months!

Let us know if you have any questions!

Cheers,
Brandon Johnson
Cork Sport Mazda Performance
Asked them the same thing in february and got that same response. The heat shield won't be as useful now that Winter is Coming™

·
Registered
294 Posts
Florida has winter? Lol. Jk. How cold does it get on average in the winter?
haha true. In Orlando it can be in the 50s-60s during the day and 40s at night on average which is a welcome change to the 80-100 during the summer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have got to move to Florida for the winters. Up here it rains and people forget how to drive in the rain. Sometimes it snows but not a lot.
Very little rain and obviously no snow here in the winter. Crisp air and warm roads make for great driving conditions down here. You can even go to the beach if you don't mind cool water haha

·
Registered
294 Posts
Finally!!! Been waiting since February, where can I pre-order haha

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is this for the 2.0 and 2.5L Skyactiv Mazda3? Also is the box completely enclosed with a cover that is screwed in by those 4 screws on the top and is it available in black?

Reactions: Hi Im Mike
41 - 60 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.