2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm currently trying to put together my own heat shield for my new intake since Corksport hasn't released one yet, but I'm still debating on what material I should use. Has anybody found one that is compatible or made their own?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Honestly, I was going to fab one out of aluminum and then wrap it in tape but I ended up just ordering the heat shield from K&N directly. I figure it will either go right on or need little modification to work with the Corksport SRI. I'll post a pic when its done.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nope. I just called their 800 number and gave them the make and model. They looked it up. $30 shipped.

I would wait until I see if its as easy as I hope. Let me be the guinea pig on this one. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Nope. I just called their 800 number and gave them the make and model. They looked it up. $30 shipped.

I would wait until I see if its as easy as I hope. Let me be the guinea pig on this one. :)
im getting pretty tired of waiting for corksport's heat shield (which is going to cost $100) so if the K&N box is compatible for $30 that would be amazing

·
Registered
281 Posts

Man let us know ASAP....

I am in the same boat waiting for CS to release and I would love to spend less and go with the KN heat shield if it is an easy mod.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I should have it in two days. They are in California so it shouldn't take long at all. I will put it in right away and post a pic/review.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Did you ask if it came with the hardware to mount to the ECU bracket and the edge seals/protectors?
No. It didnt occur to me but it shouldnt be an issue. Some rubber striping, an "l" bracket and some screws can be obtained an Lowes cheap enough.

Reactions: jdclay

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if this will be very helpful, but the K and N intake comes with a heatshield, so it might give you an idea of what you could use.

Here is the installation instruction set that shows the general shape and how to attach it:
http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/69-6033_Inst.pdf
That's perfect, I can't believe that I didn't think of that a ready!
I'll definitely be buying one directly from K&N like quidnatch said he has done. Should only be minimal modifications in order for it to fit. Thank you!

·
Registered
130 Posts

I just called the 800 number and they told me that if i'm getting just the heat shield, it won't come with mounting brackets and the edge trim. Mounting brackets and edge trim are separate. Here's what they gave me based on 2.5l engine.

heat shield - Part# 073151 - $26.99
parts kit (mounting brackets) - Part# k696032
edge trim - Part# 102486

they didn't give me the price for the parts kit and edge trim but if you get everything the total will be $65.97.

I tired looking up those part numbers on their website but they are not showing up any results, i think you can only order those through phone.

·
SkyHatchMcuhZoom
6 Posts
are you guys crazy? There IS a heat shield/airbox from corksport, costs 100$ though. it is in the air intake section of their online shop

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just called the 800 number and they told me that if i'm getting just the heat shield, it won't come with mounting brackets and the edge trim. Mounting brackets and edge trim are separate. Here's what they gave me based on 2.5l engine.

heat shield - Part# 073151 - $26.99
parts kit (mounting brackets) - Part# k696032
edge trim - Part# 102486

they didn't give me the price for the parts kit and edge trim but if you get everything the total will be $65.97.

I tired looking up those part numbers on their website but they are not showing up any results, i think you can only order those through phone.
You may have to make your own brackets and using a different edge trim if the Corksport sits differently than the K&N. Or if the pipe diameter is different. You would want a nice snug fit so that the pipe doesn't rattle around.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have the 2.5L CS SRI and the diameter of the hose is different. At the throttle body the hose has a smaller outer diameter than at where filter is attached. I can't say for sure about the 2.0L SRI though.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts