2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got it working. Popped out the glove box and saw the valve the knob is connected to. When the valve rotated, it displaced at one point. I pushed it in with my hand to get it to rotate completely. Now the heat works. Hope this helps others that may have the same problem.
Thanks bro! Mine did the same! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had this issue with my 2016 several weeks ago...
Just like the video, entire thing popped out.

Now just that plastic pin part is popping out while it is sliding upward (cold to hot) right around halfway mark if I turn the dial too fast. I need to rotate very very slooooowly or else.
This is annoying and it absolutely is a crap of of a design.

Anyone else still have this issue and what have you done different now? How does a replacement part work out? Feel like a harder, stiffer plastic would be a better option. I bet someone 3D printed sething.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This recently happened to a friend's 2014 Mazda 3. I looked into it some more and Mazda has a Technical Service Bulletin 07-003/16 last updated 9/13/2016 titled "Air Temperature Will Not Change". There is a new part BHS2-61-A20A "Link Set Temperature" that is supposed to fix Japanese built vehicles (first letter of VIN is a J). If the first letter of your VIN is a 3, you have a Mexico built car and the repair is more substantial. I expect to do this repair in the next few days, and will report back on the new part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This recently happened to a friend's 2014 Mazda 3. I looked into it some more and Mazda has a Technical Service Bulletin 07-003/16 last updated 9/13/2016 titled "Air Temperature Will Not Change". There is a new part BHS2-61-A20A "Link Set, Temperature" that is supposed to fix Japanese built vehicles (first letter of VIN is a J). If the first letter of your VIN is a 3, you have a Mexico built car and the repair is more substantial. I expect to do this repair in the next few days, and will report back on the new part.
Just finished the repair. Took about an hour, total, and was pretty easy. The new parts are subtly different than the originals. Greasy originals on the left. The peg is slightly (1mm) longer and a little thicker.
Gas Auto part Nickel Composite material Titanium

And it looks like they redesigned the axle to make it stiffer.

White Personal protective equipment Toy Auto part Snout

These parts feel more substantial, but only time will tell. Parts were $31 plus tax from the local dealer.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 3 i Sport Sedan
6 Posts
$31 plus tax for a little piece of plastic for this fix sounds absurd...but here I am contemplating it because I'm sick of reseating it when someone sits in my car and quickly turns the knob before I get the chance to warn them to turn it as slow as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got it working. Popped out the glove box and saw the valve the knob is connected to. When the valve rotated, it displaced at one point. I pushed it in with my hand to get it to rotate completely. Now the heat works. Hope this helps others that may have the same problem.
I just want to say, thank you for posting this, I saved myself a $100 diagnostic fee. I went into my glovebox, popped it open and saw one part not lifting up the other part.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts