2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Best early warning system yet! Nothing worst than being stuck somewhere.:laugh2:
You definitely beat me to that thought...that is so cool to know how to fix the HUD and go get a new battery asap. I would say most of us have experienced a dead battery at some point. My last Acura I didn't replace the OEM battery till the car was 7 years old...but then I lived in San Francisco where the temp is a constant 55 to 65 degrees 350 days a year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Update: Dealer referred me to Mazda customer service. CS, after a little bit of research, CS found that Mazda only recently issued TSB #09-008 /18 on 4/10/18. CS contacted the dealer where I had initially took my car for the issue for verification and documentation. Because there is a record of my attempt to fix prior to the warranty expiring, and a fix has now been uncovered after the warranty expiration, CS has escalated my claim for review. There was no push back. I should here back in a few days from CS. Cross my fingers.

Edit: I was not able to find the new TSB on line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What batteries are people using to replace their OEM? I used to be a huge Optima fan but their quality and reliability have gone in the crapper since they moved production to China.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What batteries are people using to replace their OEM? I used to be a huge Optima fan but their quality and reliability have gone in the crapper since they moved production to China.
I have always only used Sears Di-hard Platnum batteries, never disappointed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Update:

Mazda CS finally called me. They noted my dealer paperwork said that the dealer inspection noted that they could not duplicate the HUD problem. They did say that when they can see the HUD issue happening, they will take care of the replacement. I can either go to the dealer or post a video so they can see. There is no expiration date on this.
So all I need to do is visit an Auto Zone and see if they'll loan me an old battery to duplicate the issue. I don't want to wait till the new battery condition begins to age.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Hawk94
Wanted to say thank you. My heads up display has started getting stuck sporadically a few months back. Based upon your recommendation had the battery checked and it ended up needing to be replaced. The display had been running fine without issue since.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
145 Posts
Does the HUD do anything other than show the speed and nav directions?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Does the HUD do anything other than show the speed and nav directions?
Yes - It also shows the current speed limit determined by image processing of the forward looking camera

·
Rubber side down
255 Posts
I dont agree with this theory since it has occurred for 2+ years, if my battery was going bad shouldn't it have needed replacement by now? Its a faulty design and when I can I am going to take it apart and see if I can unplug/cut the power for the actuator, I rather have it up all the time vs look cool but fail to come up occasionally
With that thought, I have a theory that you all can take or leave, but has anybody ever considered the fact that it isn't actually related to the low battery amperage, but maybe a glitch in the startup booting that needs a hard reset which is mitigated by disconnecting the battery when replacing it with a new one? Has anybody with this HUD issue tried disconnecting their current battery and then re-connecting that same battery and seeing if that fixes the problem?

I say this because I recently had to change my battery because it was getting weak, startups were noticeably lamer, but I NEVER had an issue with my HUD. Which is to say two things: 1. A stubborn HUD cannot be depended upon to signify a dying battery, and 2. A battery can go lame without causing HUD issues. Or maybe I just found two ways of saying the same thing. Either way. Just a thought. Worth a try instead of assuming you have a bad battery and spending money on something you do not need right away. Or if anybody has already tried it without joy, then my theory is proved wrong!

-CR

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,143 Posts
I had a 2016 that had issues it.

My 2018 has no issues with it.

Guessing hardware or software related to this part due to that.
CK

21 - 31 of 31 Posts