2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been many posts about the heads up display not actuating and the reasons. Here is my story. I have a 2014 Mazda 3 and as of lately the heads up display was only coming up about 50% of the time. It has gotten progressively worse. When it didn't actuate I would shut the engine off and restart the car and the display would come up. Now a couple weeks ago the engine stumbled when I started it and it acted like the battery was going dead. Lucky the car starts on the first crank. As the battery was the original I changed it out for a new battery. Low and behold since I have installed the new battery the heads up display has not once failed to actuate. Now this leaves me to believe the poor activation has something to do with an initial charge of electricity. Any other thoughts out there?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I know there have been many posts about the heads up display not actuating and the reasons. Here is my story. I have a 2014 Mazda 3 and as of lately the heads up display was only coming up about 50% of the time. It has gotten progressively worse. When it didn't actuate I would shut the engine off and restart the car and the display would come up. Now a couple weeks ago the engine stumbled when I started it and it acted like the battery was going dead. Lucky the car starts on the first crank. As the battery was the original I changed it out for a new battery. Low and behold since I have installed the new battery the heads up display has not once failed to actuate. Now this leaves me to believe the poor activation has something to do with an initial charge of electricity. Any other thoughts out there?
I had a very similar experience. I recently changed out my batter for an Optima Yellow Top (its an overkill) a month or so ago and the HUD always comes up now too. Before it would not activate or get stuck probably 1/3 of the time when I started my car and sometimes my car wouldn't start at all. My battery was 4-5 years old so it was worn down. I got it tested and it was bad too so yeah. So I believe it does have to do with the battery alright.

It would make sense that the battery could be a component to the HUD not starting due to it being an extra electrical load that needs to be powered on when the car is started. Because if the battery is aged/worn then the battery would not be able to deliver a high enough amperage to start everything up, in essence its CA (cranking amps) is diminished. This would also be the reason why cars don't start up at all or just crank unsuccessfully since it takes a significant amount of amps to start the engine alone, now imagine having additional things plugged into the cars electrical system contributing additional loads that needs to be started as well.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,143 Posts
The heads up display on my 2016 S Touring would fail about 1 in 10 starts. Restarting the car would fix it, but it bugs.

Since I've been diving my 2018 G Touring it hasn't failed once.

They've also integrated the Nav, cruise control, SCBS and stop sign recognition into the heads up display with my 2018.
CK

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very perceptive.
I also have a 2014 model with occasional HUD issues, but didn't notice it was related to the battery. Haven't needed to replace the battery though.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very perceptive.
I also have a 2014 model with occasional HUD issues, but didn't notice it was related to the battery. Haven't needed to replace the battery though.
If it is the original battery it's 4 years old and does not have the cranking power it did when new. It has enough to crank the car but probably not enough amperage to do both start the car and raise the HUD. Did you have the HUD issue when the car was new? If not probably because the battery was new.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Batteries only lasting 3 or 4 years, bummer.
Only if you get a tradition flooded lead acid battery :wink2:. If you get AGM (absorbed gas mat) battery it'll last much much longer.

Reactions: johnykalbo

·
Registered
33 Posts
If it is the original battery it's 4 years old and does not have the cranking power it did when new. It has enough to crank the car but probably not enough amperage to do both start the car and raise the HUD. Did you have the HUD issue when the car was new? If not probably because the battery was new.
It's still running on the original battery, but only had one HUD issue over the last 8 months. It SEEMS to have occurred more often when it was new though. I have a bad memory... *shrug*

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's due to a faulty design and it's caused by a "pinching detection function" of the head-up display that is too sensitive to voltage fluctiations. In cars made after 2015 it has been removed. In order to fix this problem is necesary to replace both head-up display and speedometer, which leads into a kilometer/milleage reset (only in a visual way, real km can still be check through ODB2).

There's a TSB about this issue: https://files.fm/u/8zxz6uya

R099/16B issued Nov'2016

·
Registered
168 Posts
Occasionally the HUD does not go up on my 2014 3, but only a hand full of times a year. And restarting the car always fixes it.

I do wish they had a way to keep it from popping up, the car wash people always mess it up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I dont agree with this theory since it has occurred for 2+ years, if my battery was going bad shouldn't it have needed replacement by now? Its a faulty design and when I can I am going to take it apart and see if I can unplug/cut the power for the actuator, I rather have it up all the time vs look cool but fail to come up occasionally

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont agree with this theory since it has occurred for 2+ years, if my battery was going bad shouldn't it have needed replacement by now? Its a faulty design and when I can I am going to take it apart and see if I can unplug/cut the power for the actuator, I rather have it up all the time vs look cool but fail to come up occasionally
Think what you like but it's been about 2 months since i replaced the battery and have not had any failures of the HUD.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,143 Posts
The HUD on my 2016 Sport touring would fail 1 out of every 10 starts or so. It was like that for the two years I drove the car. Restarting the engine always fixed it.

My 2018 3's HUD has not failed to actuate once yet. Maybe they addressed the issue?
CK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently (past month) my 2016 sGT started having the HUD screen not go all the way up. It goes about 3/4 of the way up. Any pointers on what to check?

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
New Battery has fixed the Issue

After reading through this thread, this is definitely a battery voltage related issue. My 2014 started with the issue about 3 years later after purchase and just before the warranty was up. I took it into the dealer just before the warranty was up. All they could do at the time was "realign" the hud. I called several times to see if there was a fix yet. No luck.

Some background on the HUD issues:
HUD first started to go up about 1 cm, then down, then all the way up, as opposed to straight up upon start up when new.
Later, the HUD would go up a few inches, then down, then all the way up.
As time progressed, the HUD eventually would not go up, and only would go up, after restarting as everyone has experienced.
In between, as some point, my battery was run down due to leaving the interior light on. Also I neglected to check the water in the cells and it did run down. I added water and resurrected the battery to extend some life out of it about 6 months ago.
Fast forward to today - 50k miles and 4 years later - I went on vacation for two weeks, came back, tried to start my car, and it barely started. Also the HUD started to not come up most of the time even with a restart.

I replaced the battery with a new one from Auto Zone one week ago. So far, HUD fully 100% operational, no failures, no up and downs. The HUD shoots straight up right upon start up, every time.

So yes, this appears to be voltage related.

Many drivers experience this at different times across the country but that can easily be explained by the weather in their region as this greatly affects battery life. Here in LA, we go from 45*F in the winter to 115*F in the summer. This dimmishes battery life, amps, voltage, etc.

Unfortunately, it appears the remedy may have been discovered well after my warranty was up. The dealer has my records as having been there for this issue before so I will try and give them a call to see if they will replace it after the warranty. Besides, we just bought there a 2017 CX5 so we are loyal Mazda customers. I have nothing to lose and all they can say is no. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks to the OP for starting this post.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts