2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Finally bought a long Philips head and raised mine this past weekend. What a difference!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh yeah, I think these headlights are aimed too low from the factory. I aimed mine up a bit so the light shines farther and helped a lot at night.
Yeah I adjusted it myself. Dealer won't do it.

I just went to a CVS where it's completely flat and I parked about 25-30 feet away from the wall. I used a philips screw driver and adjusted the knob/teeth thingy behind the low beam of each headlight. I aimed it up maybe two inches and now it's perfect, light shines farther yet does not blind cars in front of me.
You can reach it from the hole on the frame that's why you might want a long screw driver.

Hope this helps
Clockwise on driver side and counter clockwise on passenger side if facing the white plastic part (basically turn both toward the center of the car).
THANK YOU.

I thought I was crazy thinking they were low and that I should just live with it..

But it is borderline scary how they are now at night in the dark right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWTTf31pwuI

How do I embed a youtube video into a post? I don't see the insert video link button like there is for pics. What is the [TAG] for video links?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I finally got around to doing this. It was so easy, I don't know why a waited so long. Big improvement.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Both drivers and passenger side have holes from the painted metal part of the frame for you to slot in a philips (+) screw and both you turn clockwise to raise and counter clock to lower headlights for hid kitted mazda 3s

Japan made left hard drive if it matters

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
Informative thread. I don't have any issues with current light set up, but nice to know particulars if/when things change (with my eyesight). :laugh2:

I live in the city and it is very well lit. I can see fine at night with only my daytime running lights.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yeah I adjusted it myself. Dealer won't do it.

I just went to a CVS where it's completely flat and I parked about 25-30 feet away from the wall. I used a philips screw driver and adjusted the knob/teeth thingy behind the low beam of each headlight. I aimed it up maybe two inches and now it's perfect, light shines farther yet does not blind cars in front of me.

My car has the auto leveling thingy and I was afraid it will automatically level it back to the original position. I did the adjustments with the car running so the leveling with be at it's default lowest setting. Worked out fine, it still automatically adjusts the light up/down depending on cargo load :)
Is that with the HID lights?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but is there a way to aim the headlights left to right? I can only seem to aim them up and down. I just installed HID's into the halogen projector and I find that it aims too far outwards on both sides.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but is there a way to aim the headlights left to right? I can only seem to aim them up and down. I just installed HID's into the halogen projector and I find that it aims too far outwards on both sides.
Just checked the service manual, and there's no mention of side to side adjustment. Unfortunately I can't physically confirm it right now.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Me, too. I would like to aim more to the left.

Reactions: Ssebranek

·
Registered
530 Posts
There is not adjustment for left or right. Only up or down.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I definitely need to remember this thread! Thank you. I understood the driver side being aimed lower to not blind oncoming traffic, but it seemed like they were too low (the headlights barely shine across minor (2-lane and residential) intersections...). The dealer, of course, said they were fine... Thanks to everyone who posted tips on this!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ok - I'm a little slow on the DIY, but I know the dealer won't adjust the headlights to aim a touch higher... I just want to make sure I'm working in the right area before doing anything. I'm assuming that the screw/gear (whatever controls) the height is in the box outlined in red? This is the driver side view, and from what I remember from earlier posts, I would turn towards the center of the car to raise the focus.... ditto for the passenger side (turn towards center of car).

Can someone that is a bit more handy than me confirm this - or tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Ok - I'm a little slow on the DIY, but I know the dealer won't adjust the headlights to aim a touch higher... I just want to make sure I'm working in the right area before doing anything. I'm assuming that the screw/gear (whatever controls) the height is in the box outlined in red? This is the driver side view, and from what I remember from earlier posts, I would turn towards the center of the car to raise the focus.... ditto for the passenger side (turn towards center of car).

Can someone that is a bit more handy than me confirm this - or tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks!
No, you stick the screw driver into the hole beneath the red outline. Actually I didn't really need to go through that hole. I aimed the headlights higher a bit more the other week and I just stuck the screw driver onto the adjustment screw itself (behind headlight).

·
Working Class Hero
3,625 Posts
No, you stick the screw driver into the hole beneath the red outline. Actually I didn't really need to go through that hole. I aimed the headlights higher a bit more the other week and I just stuck the screw driver onto the adjustment screw itself (behind headlight).
This. The thing outlined is a hood support pad.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks y'all! thought it didn't look right... weather permitting I'll give it a go tomorrow...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys, and girls, so here's a question for you. Did everyone have to turn the screws/notches in different directions for each light? The reason I ask is because I did it a long time ago and I recently lowered my car and decided to adjust just a notch or two higher to compensate. The odd thing is that when I look out through the windshield, I had to turn the screw counter clockwise on both lights to adjust up. And previously, two people said they adjusted two different directions. ???

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Honestly, just look at the wall and see which way the light is going when you turn the screw. I've adjusted mine a few times and still don't remember which direction goes where. If the light is going down then I'll turn the screw the other way to go up :D

21 - 40 of 59 Posts