2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Does anyone else have a problem with their headlight lenses fogging up?

I just went to the dealership and they will replace it under warranty. But I have a feeling that this will eventually be a TSB.

BeEvil

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts
Hey all,

Does anyone else have a problem with their headlight lenses fogging up?

I just went to the dealership and they will replace it under warranty. But I have a feeling that this will eventually be a TSB.

BeEvil
is that after you wash your car?

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
i'm assuming you mean actual fogging (inside) and not hazing (outside). it's from water getting inside your headlight and trying to evaporate, but can't. hope you didn't mess around with it cause if you did, it wouldn't be covered by warranty. mine doesn't do it either btw.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, it's an actual fogging of the headlight lens. A few people on another Mazda 3 site have the same problem. So keep looking for it. The dealership is going to replace it under warranty.

Here's a photo or 2.

BeEvil

·
Registered
412 Posts
Still can't tell from the photo. Is that moisture condensing on the inside of the lens? When it warms up does it go away?

Or is the plastic getting cloudy?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I noticed a fogging on my headlights after reading this thread. I think it is only a dust, or dirt on the exterior of the housing since the car has been out of the garage over the weekend. I'm assuming a bath will get her back to new.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's hard to tell from the pics, but I'm pretty sure it looks like the actual plastic is clouding up, not moisture.
Yes it's the actual plastic fogging up. Not moisture. BTW, my other headlight is now fogging up. I'm due next week to get the first one replaced and will show them the second one then.

BeEvil

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hm really? thanks for the heads up. how did you notice it in the first place?
I was just admiring my car one day and I noticed it was fogging. I know of a few others that have the same problem, so keep looking for it.

BeEvil

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I wonder if there is a flaw in the plastic and it reacts with the soap or water, or even a chemical that makes the plastic itself fog up.

If it is a flaw, then the dealer would need to replace the lights, and I think the problem will become more common.

If it is just random, I think we will need to isolate the cause!

·
Registered
93 Posts
there is a recall from Transport Canada regarding this. seems like the cause is the heat from the DRL.

since the US model uses a 5W wedge bulbs as oppose to our 35W H8 bulbs, it can explain why this fogging is occurring more on/exclusively for the Canadian model.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
there is a recall from Transport Canada regarding this. seems like the cause is the heat from the DRL.

since the US model uses a 5W wedge bulbs as oppose to our 35W H8 bulbs, it can explain why this fogging is occurring more on/exclusively for the Canadian model.
You beat me to it. Here is what I've found.

There is a Transport Canada issued safety recall on the 2010 headlight issue

2010 Mazda3
Vehicles affected: 5,738
On certain vehicles, a part of the headlight housing where the daytime running light (DRL) bulb is attached may be damaged by heat from the bulb when the vehicle is left idling for an extended period, or while driving in slow-moving traffic. In the worst case, the housing may be deformed, resulting in bulb detachment. Dealers will repair the housing.

So I guess you guys aren't going to have this problem.

BeEvil

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Doesnt look at all like moisture to me.... looks like the plastic is getting too hot. Hard to tell from the pics

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We've already determined that it's from the DRL's in the Canadian models and a certain number of vehicles are covered by Mazda.
Exactly. You guys in the US are safe. I've had both mine changed now. Hope I got the new and improved version!!!

BeEvil

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.