2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Mazda 3 2.0L and was wondering what I could do to make it louder. Right now I have the corksport catback, but it really isnt that loud. I want to know how much louder new headers would make it and some good companies to buy them from cause i havent really been able to find them. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
I want to know how much louder new headers would make it and some good companies to buy them from cause i havent really been able to find them. Thanks
Louder is not better. Louder is not badder. Louder is more annoying, especially the drone at highway speeds....and in these cars it sounds like an old lawn mower.
You haven't been able to find any headers because there aren't any....and aren't likely to be any. The Mazda 3 already has a race design header that works very well.
The search function works very well. There is much discussion on this subject...

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,147 Posts
Corksport has a race header coming out on 6/15, but it is not street legal. CEL will be on all the time and cannot be turned off through tuning.

Corksport also has the 80mm cat-back system, if you really want to make your exhaust louder than your current CS cat-back. Not sure why'd you want to do that, but to each their own, I guess.

Also, don't forget about upgrading your OEM cold air intake to an SRI to add some nice engine growl. I have a K&N Typhoon cold air intake and it adds a nice low growl to the engine under normal driving. Really noticeable when you step on it.
CK

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have a 2016 Mazda 3 2.0L and was wondering what I could do to make it louder. Right now I have the corksport catback, but it really isnt that loud. I want to know how much louder new headers would make it and some good companies to buy them from cause i havent really been able to find them. Thanks
Umm, do you have the cat back or the axle back. Are you tuned? Why do you want to be louder?
If you wanted a 90's Honda Civic with a coffee can muffler why didn't you buy one?

·
Registered
659 Posts
The OP specifically said he wants get louder, and asked how. To each their own, this is an automotive forum, all kinds of scenes and tastes out there.

Easy way to get louder after the exhaust (I think you bought the correct one for your tastes, of the major mazda brands) is intake. Corksport makes a short ram intake that definitely increases intake volume, nice growl. I rather enjoyed the noise it made but removed it for performance reasons - without a shroud it sucks in hot air from engine bay vs. stock one that has a tube to fresh air. Mind you i prefer a tamer overall sound. It won't piss off the neighbors but definitely adds aggression.

·
Rubber side down
255 Posts
Go to your local crap exhaust shop, tell them to chop off the 2nd catalytic converter and everything after that, weld up a straight pipe from there to the tail pipe. I am assuming you won't mind removing such legal requirements from your ridiculously loud vehicle. No muffler, no 2nd cat, no resonator, no sense, no consideration for annoying noise pollution, complete loss of engine efficiency, zero quality in exhaust tone, but loud as eff for your own personal pleasure. Your neighbors and everyone you drive by will hate you until you total your car. Congrats.

Race cars are louder for a reason: highly tuned to the peak of mechanical performance and zero power restriction. Your loud ass grocery getter isn't going to fool anybody into thinking it is a race car just because it is noisy. But hey, to each his/her own I suppose. Go nuts.

Have we had enough of these useless "make my car louder just for the sake of being obnoxious" posts yet?

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
Go to your local crap exhaust shop, tell them to chop off the 2nd catalytic converter and everything after that, weld up a straight pipe from there to the tail pipe. I am assuming you won't mind removing such legal requirements from your ridiculously loud vehicle. No muffler, no 2nd cat, no resonator, no sense, no consideration for annoying noise pollution, complete loss of engine efficiency, zero quality in exhaust tone, but loud as eff for your own personal pleasure. Your neighbors and everyone you drive by will hate you until you total your car. Congrats.

Race cars are louder for a reason: highly tuned to the peak of mechanical performance and zero power restriction. Your loud ass grocery getter isn't going to fool anybody into thinking it is a race car just because it is noisy. But hey, to each his/her own I suppose. Go nuts.

Have we had enough of these useless "make my car louder just for the sake of being obnoxious" posts yet?

:laughing001: :laughing001: :laughing019: :laughing019:​

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
Feeliq, has headers for this car.

Im saving for coqsport midpipe, and retain stock axleback......
Whats the point in that? Changing the mid pipe is where you would be most likely to lose torque. Why not leave the mid pipe and get the axle back?

Those headers are not road legal, and they don't do much.
From the Feeliq website-
the maximum power is 160ps, when the exhaust system is fitted and additional tuning is done. The acquired horsepower graph is clearly improved, with the highest horsepower being 172 horsepower
160 ps = 157 hp
172.47 ps = 170.04 hp
22.55 kg/m = 163.1 ft/lbs

My car has a 2.0l and makes about the same power or more with just the tune, intake and axle back system. Why does that car only make 170 hp with a tune and supposedly better headers?
From OVT data logs-

·
Registered
214 Posts
Arathol

after the post I thought I might confuse a bit.

1- I posted the feeliq thing cause he wanted noise....

2- My plan is another story, Im planning axle back or cat back (1 of the 2) looking for more power.
I just did springs eibach, 18" wheels from a S3 2018, tune 89oct OVT.

any suggestions

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Get an SRI or aftermarket cold air intake to increase your intake air flow, get an axle-back exhaust to increase your outward airflow and then get an OV Tune for 91 or 93 octane. The tune will maximize the benefits of the SRI and axle-back exhaust and give you the most bang for your buck for all of the parts.

The SRI and the exhaust by themselves did not make any noticeable improvements in performance for me. The exhaust got me a little better mpg for sure, and the car seemed a little more responsive, but that could have just been in my head.
CK

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
You won't see too much power gain with an exhaust, a few hp maybe, and a few ft/lbs. Not so much that you would really even notice. The Ultimate Racing axle back is good but I don't know if it will fit the sedan. It used to have tips held on by clamps so you could tun them down like on the sedan, but don't know if thats still the way its made.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Have you ever seen someone driving with those? OMG are they loud... ear splitting even!
CK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts