2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a buddy that's having problems with his 3. I figured someone may have similar problem or help diagnose. He has a 2010 s sport sedan. 6 speed. He's taken it to a few places but they are saying it's either a shifter or he needs a new tranny. Mind you, the car isn't driven rough or anything, it's mainly a commuter car. any help is appreciated :thumbup 1:

""" I have 131,000 miles on it. The jist of the problem is that the shifter started getting stuck or sticky in between shifting, for example when I had to put it in reverse I have to push the stick In, left, and up past first gear. Some times I could not put the shifter in to the reverse position. It just wouldn't go in and I'd be stuck unable to reverse.

When I could get into reverse then the last 2 gears were hard to shift into (5th and 6th) because those are all the way to the right side. So it seemed like if I went to far left or right the gears opposite were hard to get into. So after using reverse and starting to drive normal I start 1st gear, 2nd, 3rd gear and 4th are all normal. Here is where the problem would start going from 4th up to 5th gear the shifter would not go right far enough to get up to 5th gear. I had some luck going quick back down to 4th and holding or sliding in to 5th by pushing to the right from the bottom of 4th and slide while still pushing right push up and right together to eventually get to 5th and finally 6th gear.

Then the problem would go the other way having shifted to 5th and 6th gear, it's like the seal was broken so shifting 1st through 6th was okay, except now reverse seemed to be locked out (reverse being all the way to left) opposite."""

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Huh. Kind of odd. Other than the shifter not going over far enough is there any other issues? Once you get the shifter over far enough does it go in that gear fairly easy?
Has the tranny fluid been changed ever?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
That's why I wanted more info from him. Doesn't sound like an entire transmission problem. Sounds to me like a problem in the linkage, plate, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts