2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Three of my stock wheels have varying degrees of curb rash, I bought the car used, with some being pretty deep and noticeable so I have been thinking about attempting od repairing them with bondo. I came across a couple of youtube videos that show how and it seems pretty easy and straight forward, but my main concern is getting the color to match the single wheel that has no damage on it.

Are there color codes for wheels like there is for the body?

Have you done this before and if so how is the paint holding up?

This is for the stock 18" wheels on the 3.

·
'18 M3HGTP Eternal Blue
77 Posts
Don't try to match, it's an endless tail-chasing experience. Especially given you're talking about Wheels. Just do your repairs and paint all 4 rims at the same time. Yes, a little more prep and a little more cost for paint, but you're going to save a big chunk of money skipping the "color matched" paint pricing. I've done motorcycle rims countless times (ham-fisted mechanics who tear up rims when changing tires), and paint lasts alright.... a car might be better as you're not changing tires so often, but it does eventually chip.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Three of my stock wheels have varying degrees of curb rash, I bought the car used, with some being pretty deep and noticeable so I have been thinking about attempting od repairing them with bondo. I came across a couple of youtube videos that show how and it seems pretty easy and straight forward, but my main concern is getting the color to match the single wheel that has no damage on it.

Craigslist / Kijiji you'll find a new Mazda wheels at great prices and the car will look newer

·
Registered
282 Posts
On my last car a dealer chewed up the alloys BAD when I had the tires changed for the first time and it REALLY pissed me off as I was super careful about not curbing them. They agreed to pay to have them refinished and depending on where you are, there are usually a few companies who specialize in that sort of thing. I think repairing mine (scratches and some deeper gouges) ran $125 a wheel.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Obviously on the lower aspect tire/wheels, the likelihood of scraping the wheel is greater. For minor curb marks and scrapes on the stock silver wheels, I use an oil marker to obscure some of the damage. Oil is key as it is permanent and binds to the metal, not the water soluble marker. I use the Pilot Silver Marker with the extra fine push down tip. Fairly easy to find in one of your better stocked art supply stores.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts

You can cover up the rash
Plastic rim protectors

https://www.alloygator.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
817 Posts
There are wheel repair kits out there like this Permatex kit. Or you can try a new car dealer or google wheel repairs local. There are companies that are mobile and do wheel repair at dealers.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are wheel repair kits out there like this Permatex kit. Or you can try a new car dealer or google wheel repairs local. There are companies that are mobile and do wheel repair at dealers.
Thanks, I never knew they made that kit.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You can repair the wheels and then try Duplicolor wheel paint, I've used it before and if you clean the wheels right it comes out great. It is a strong durable paint and it don't peel off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts