2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15' mazda 3 came with FL 22 coolant which according to the owners manual is supposed to be good for 10 years. Just like the claim that the transmission is supposed to be sealed for life, I find that hard to believe.

Have you replaced your FL 22 and if so how long did you run it in the engine? Right now im at 60K miles and the car is only three years old so I am considering replacing it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Its 10 years or something like 190k kms. Many coolants can easily last over 120k kms so its not hard to believe.

If you want to keep an eye on it, you can do the voltmeter test. Negative on a ground such as a bolt, and positive probe in the coolant under your rad cap. The voltage will increase as it ages showing galvanic corrosion. Kinda like how a battery works.

I've already changed mine twice. First when the car was new because I had to drain it to install a block heater. Second was the recall where the mixture of antifreeze can be out. I figure it was fine and they just wanted to charge Mazda for the recall work since I already drained and refilled, but I'm not going to complain. Free new coolant.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of voltage should I be getting? Let's say you start with completely new coolant, what should it read?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If my memory s right, I think around 0.35. Maybe less. You might get less with these cars since the block is mostly aluminium. Its the dissimilar metals that cause a lot of this.

Youd be wise to double check me with google. This is an old trick.

·
Registered
215 Posts
took out most of the coolant and put water (with no minerals) and water wetter...

I live in the caribbean... no need for antifreeze

·
Registered
182 Posts
The difference is coolant isn't lubricating. And age isn't changing it's properties much. As long as the color is normal (no rust) and the level is good, I would leave it alone for the interval stated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts