2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi so i dont suppose im going to make any friends by saying this but... i have a 2016 mazda 3 2.0 sport from new and ill be honest worst car ive ever driven! and ive driven some buckets in the past.
i find the auto choke tries to pull away ferociously most mornings meaning i have to break hard to slow it.. so this is just annoying : ( i find the steering to be not reflective of the road and am not confident with it in the corners like i would be in other cars. ( but tbh i find most new cars with over computer controled steering to be soft to soft! ) i could get over this if tonight it refused to stop at 30mph and left me yanking the handbrake rear ending the poor bloke in front who decided to turn right! So i see him break, i break not alot happens its abit damp.. i push harder i feel the abs think about it and then the pedal just goes soft leaving me yanking the handbrake. seriously this is 16months old! ive never had breaks responsed so badly on a car? ive owned mx5s before a mark 1 and 2.5 and loved them! does anyone else find this new bread of mazda to be pretty poor? and has anyone found a serious issue with breaking in poor conditions or is it just mine? sorry to rant but i hate this car and now its trying to kill me

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Working Class Hero
3,562 Posts
Well, golly. First, there's no auto choke. The ecu sets a high idle on cold start. Being patient a minute and letting it settle down is a good idea, and that's for any engine. The steering is electric, but Mazda has done it pretty much right. It's still not quite the same as the old Fashioned kind, but it's not bad. The brakes feel just a tad soft on first push, but a quick pump brings the pedal right up. The car isn't trying to kill you lol.

Welcome aboard.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What did you do to it that its so upset at you that it wants to kill you?

My '15 3i Touring is the best handling car I've driven and I've had a license for a loooong time. I feel much safer in it than in my 4200lb, 18 year old suv.

Don't drive it when its at high idle at start. Its bad for most engines to be stressed when not at operating temperatures. The blue light will go out at about 140°F. Normal operating temperature is 185°F.

Brakes are a serious issue. Since you felt the abs kick in, the brakes probably worked. If one wheel's brakes were off, the car might spin. But with stability control, maybe not. Tires and their condition can make a big difference.

Its possible the hand brake overrides the abs, I don't know. If it does, it may lock the wheels causing reduced stopping power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tbh i was abit freaked and venting yesterday but weve not got on with this car since we had it.. and we had a 2012 quashqui before and i couldnt fault it.
im just suprized that it refused to stop at such low speed, i have a 17 yr old golf 2.0 and i no from a suicidal cat that it stops on the button! and i no that the mazda is cheap in its range but ide expect the money saved to be from fixtures and fittings not brakes!
i spoke to the guy i hit this morning and he also couldnt understand why i hit him he said he heard no screach or skid just watched me slowly drive into him. the guy behind me stopped no problem! i did retutn to the spot today in my car and there is a black repaired section in the road where I would of been so i can only assume the ecu didnt like the change of surface and let go? the cars being picked up monday and being checked so we will see if its 1 off or major fault. but my wife now has lost any confidence we had in it which wasnt alot.
as for needing to leave a car time to warm up before driving it this isnt the 70s ive driven plenty of petrol cars from the 80s onward and never known a car to pull like this. i dont think anyone sits and waits before driving? and yes they all keep revs up early on so the car will keep moving, but this thing accelerates and much faster than you would normally go! i drive in 2nd around our small estate and you have to ride the break or clutch to stop the car speeding off! ive not driven another one of these so i cant say if its just that mines a bit of a lemon but either way not impressed : (

·
Working Class Hero
3,562 Posts
Here's the thing about stopping; it's not just the brakes that stop you. It's all about friction, both at the rotors and the contact patches. The stock tires on these cars aren't what one would call sticky. Quite the contrary. Low rolling resistance doesn't usually mean high grip. There are better examples out there. Perhaps shop for one of them. And if the pavement is greasy, all bets are off, especially with low grip hoops. Maximize for the results you want, or make changes to operate within the given parameters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh wow i never thought that in the pursuit for a good mpg the tyres would put my families lives in danger! if we get it back ill get the tyres changed.. ide rather put a few extra quid in the tank and no that the tyres will hold the road

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine drops down to normal RPM when I shift out of park (A/T). You don't need to let it sit and warm up, that's actually bad for an engine. But you should let it sit for a few seconds while it gets the oil pressure up and figures out its environment. Start the car, put on your seat belt, shift into gear.

Wet pavement and hard tires would cause the tires to lock up sooner than normal (and activate the ABS). If the ABS failed, you would've heard squealing tires. If you had the brake pedal on the floor and the ABS wasn't doing it's thing, and the tires weren't locked up (squealing) then there's probably a mechanical problem. Air in the lines would cause a soft pedal. An oily film on the pads/rotors would make them almost useless. A loss of vacuum to the brake booster would reduce the pressure at the wheels, but also make the pedal feel much harder.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
...kind of just seems like you WANT there to be a problem with your Mazda.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Sounds pretty bad and like you've got a lemon on your hands.... Did you actually test drive this particular car?

For whatever it's worth, when I start up on cold mornings, I wait about 5-7 secs for the initial (high) idle (~1500 rpms) to drop down to ~1100 rpms (about the amount of time it takes for my phone to sync via bluetooth).

Good luck.

·
Working Class Hero
3,562 Posts
oh wow i never thought that in the pursuit for a good mpg the tyres would put my families lives in danger! if we get it back ill get the tyres changed.. ide rather put a few extra quid in the tank and no that the tyres will hold the road

That's the spirit. Compromises are always made in hallways between the engineers and bean counters, too. This always affects the end user.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry loud 3.. im not looking for problems, believe me i use to really rate mazda. ive had a few older ones and loved them : ) which is why ive been so disappointed with this one! i posted here to get feed back from the people that drive and love mazdas to find out if its just this one that isnt up to standard? we did test drive the show room vehicle but it was fresh off the boat so still with transport oil and basic running setup, so not what ide call a good test run. but the wife fell for the looks and thats what matters to her ; )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts