2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts
08 Speed 3 earning it's keep again. Picked up 20 pallets from a LOWEs for a project. Will probably be picking up more later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have:

2014 Mazda3 S Touring Hatchback (2.5L Engine)
350lb sailboat + 400lb trailer
Torklift Ecohitch custom hitch for Mazda3

I have towed my boat across Phoenix without any problems. Honestly, you almost forget it's there.

The Ecohitch is worth the extra money. If you have an S (or probably any model with LED taillights), you will need to do a little extra work to install the hitch. Specifically, before taking the bumper off, there are more screws to undo. Then, you need to run a 12V line from the battery directly to the box. It wasn't too bad. I'm not the handiest guy and I was scared as hell to mess with my new fancy car, but it came out great.
Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but I'm new to the board and can't just PM.

I also have a 2.5L mazda 3 ('11), and live in Tempe. I'm looking at running out to the northern Nevada desert for a little over a week with a trailer and a roof rack.

Based upon your experiences, do you think I'll need much in the way of added trans-fluid cooling if I were to haul a combined 600-1,000lbs between trailer and stuff? I used to just make this trip with a volvo wagon and strap whatever couldn't fit inside, to the roof, but the 3 isn't long enough for that so I a trailer becomes necessary.

Thanks in advance!

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts
You should be good. 1000 lbs is nothing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
I did not take any pics during the install, but if you look up "torklift ecohitch mazda 3", there is a video they posted on YouTube of the install. They have the car on a lift, but I did mine without the car on a lift...it's not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I've seen your car around AVL. You got the same user on mtbr?

·
Registered
7 Posts
2014 2.0 automatic with curt hitch and wiring. I towed this trailer about 500km, car handled it very well I was surprised. It was a fairly light trailer maybe a few hundred pounds in it (not sure how much the trailer weighs).

41 - 46 of 46 Posts