2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
How did you notch your bumper? The instructions weren't very accurate but I think mine turned out pretty nicely.

That looks great bike man. Very clean install. Thanks for the info on the Ecohitch shank length question I had. No stop and open receiver all the back will allow my bike rack to work perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts
Considering the things they tow in Europe with tiny little cars I don't think some light duty towing here in the states is going to kill the car.

This is a good video specifically on the 3. 1256 kilos is just over 2700 lbs for reference.
(Search Youtube for "Practical Caravan's Mazda 3 tow car review")

I wouldn't 'tow a double axle trailer with pipe loaded on it with it but a small trailer and keep the total trailer and load weight under 1500 lbs and I don't think you'll see any appreciable decrease in reliability of the car.

As for lightweight trailer options check out the offerings from Harbor Freight. They come as a kit you assemble into a bare frame then you can build it up how you like with a deck or sides or by mounting some kind of cargo box on top. They've become quite popular with the Jeep Wrangler folks as they are very light weight and small and are easy to customize to your needs. Here is one I built for my Jeep Cherokee as an off road trailer. I started with a used 8 foot folding harbor freight trailer and cut 2 feet off the end, moved the axle forward to a more centered position, removed the hinge that lets it fold and welded it into one piece instead, and welded all the joints. Added a heavier axle 2000 lb axle (in a light duty on road application that probably wouldn't be necessary) and added larger tires and wheels (again probably not needed for a light duty on road application). Total trailer weight is around 350ish lbs and with my motorcycle loaded on it I can unhook it and roll it around by hand if necessary and total trailer weight with my motorcycle on it is right around 1000 lbs with room to put additional gear or luggage on board if needed. You can leave the stock axle and wheels on it for a road going use with no problems just make sure you properly lube the bearing as they ship with very little grease in them.

I'll be keeping that trailer after I sell the Jeep and setting up whatever car I decide to get to tow it. Probably a Mazda 3.

Edit-Apparently my post count is too low to post pictures and links but the links were to Etrailer page for Mazda3 hitches and a Youtube video about a towing review of the Mazda 3. The pictures were of my small lightweight harbor freight trailer before I modded it and after.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am also interested in towing options. I have a Suzuki GSXR600 that I haul to the track, weighs 425 lbs wet. Currently I cart it in the bed of my Nissan Frontier but I want to get rid of my truck so I don't have two vehicles.

I am thinking of getting a lightweight trailer around 200-250 lbs for a total 650-675 lbs or so. I am thinking this should be breeze for this car. I have a GT hatch 6spd manual.

The Mazda Australia website clearly lists the tow ratings for the SP25 Astina (which is what they call the GT hatch I believe)... 2640 lbs braked and 1320 lbs unbraked. I am assuming it is the exact same car. Do you know if they add any transmission coolers or is the vehicle structurally different from the one sold in the US?

Attachments

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts
You won't find a transmission cooler for the manual. Only the auto. At least I've only heard of manual trans coolers in a some very heavy duty application such as large diesel trucks and a handful of military vehicles. Under 1000 lbs I bet you would never even know it's back there.

Here's a Mazda3 hauling a dirtbike on a smaller Harbor Freight trailer.

Another hatchback but towing two bikes on the folding Harbor Freight trailer which is what I built my trailer off of.

Another Mazda 3 towing two sport bikes on a Folding harbor freight trailer.

And the thread over on Mazda24/7

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-123667877.html

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts
Apparently I can post pics now. Here is the trailer I built from start to finish. My buddy and myself could easily stand on each end of the trailer and lift it up and carry it around when I was done and that was with an axle and tire/wheel combo that was far more heavy duty than needed for a street application.

Initially starting off. Just got it home from the guy I bought it from.,

Axle removed. 2 feet bobbed off the end

Spring perches moved foward and 1 ton axle installed

Decked and shod with new shoes. Lights and wiring installed.

Fenders installed, tie down rings installed, a weekends worth of camping gear, food, drinks, ect packed onboard for 3 people. Towed with a Honda Pilot over 1000 miles round trip.

Towed behind my Jeep with a cargo box strapped to it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
As for lightweight trailer options check out the offerings from Harbor Freight. They come as a kit you assemble into a bare frame then you can build it up how you like with a deck or sides or by mounting some kind of cargo box on top.
This.

In the United States, Harbor Freight is the place to start for an inexpensive and functional trailer. They're common enough you may be able to find one used.

·
Registered
79 Posts
@AVL thumper, Did they cut part of the rear bumper so the tow hook could fit?

I installed the hitch. You have to cut a small approximately 3"x3" section out of the black plastic. The hitch comes with a section of trimlock to affix to the cut edges. Very easy, and very clean install. I can't recommend this hitch enough if you're looking for one that doesn't hang down and detract from the vehicle's look.

·
Registered
79 Posts
AVL thumper

Can you post any pictures of the install?

I did not take any pics during the install, but if you look up "torklift ecohitch mazda 3", there is a video they posted on YouTube of the install. They have the car on a lift, but I did mine without the car on a lift...it's not necessary.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got a '14 Hatch GT 2.5L that I want to tow a 450lb bike with. It seems like the Curt branded hitches seem to be the easier to find and installing option. Though, it's the hardware to raise the ball up and the trailer itself I need to figure out. I can't access Torklift's site it seems to be down at the moment.

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts
etrailer.com is a good source for such hardware. You need to know what kind of trailer height of tongue ect before you can figure out how high you need to go on the hitch ball. I do know that you need a hitch that comes back 9 or 10 inches from the pin hole on the receiver.

For the trailer consider a Harbor Freight unit if you are on a budget.

An example of a HF trailer setup to haul motorcycles

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts
Got to do a test tow today with my Speed3 to drop a few hundred pounds of gear off at my storage unit using my modified Harbor Freight trailer. Pulled well behind the little Speed.

Next item I'll be towing will be my motorcycle when the shop gets done with the valve check which when combined with the trailer will put me around 900lbs or so.

·
Registered
50 Posts
towing? ya

I did 15k Miles across 26 states pulling 1,300lbs for 90 days straight in temperatures between 50-130 degrees averaging about 25mpg.

Attachments

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts
Towed this setup better than my Jeep XJ. Was running 85 on the interstate without even realizing it. Stable, no sway, could barely tell it was back there. Then again it's only about a third of the weight the Speed3 is rated to tow overseas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just finished installing a Draw Tite tow hitch on my 17 GT. The cost was a little over $100 from E Trailer.com. I use the hitch to attach my Thule platform rack to carry my mountain bikes. The installation was only a little time consuming because I didn't have a second set of hands. I ended up removing the entire muffler assembly which gave me easy access to mount the hitch. This is the 3rd hitch that I have purchased from E Trailer and all have arrived to my house very quickly with all necessary hardware.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts