2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Hatch Switch Cover?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MrBen 
#1 ·
I'm replacing the switch for my hatch because it's worn away. Since the rear camera wiring works off the same wiring as the hatch switch, when it wears away it affects the way the camera works. Has anyone found a way to cover the switch to protect it from the weather to avoid this problem?

#7 ·
I don't have experience with PlastiDip for this type of usage. I suggest putting a 2 or 3 layers on a flexible material like paper, fabric, or rubber, so you can let it cure and then assess whether it'll crack with the sort of deformation that happens with the switch. I suspect that using too thick of a coating would hasten cracking of the coating.

#8 ·
There's the Plasti Dip that was used. The labelling is misleading because the actual color is black but it makes you think its yellow on the container. It ended up being thicker than I thought, so I stuck with two coats and filled in some holes after it all dried. Feels a little different because of the rubber that is over it now, but pressing the button does not seem to be an issue at the moment. Hopefully it holds out well over time.
Wood Rectangle Floor Bumper Flooring

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Window

Hand Drink Gesture Finger Thumb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.