2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda3 Sport GT Polymetal over Garnet
39 Posts
Thats pretty Cool, I have seen a few of these over the years and ive always liked them, How difficult was it to wire up?
@MazdaGT_E the wiring was pretty simple, but Mazda does a really good job of wrapping the harness. They start the wrap at the connector end and finish where it joins the rest of the harness. Without undoing all the wrapping, I could only get about 1/2in of wire exposed to cut into the harness. Over heated some of the wire while soldering, but not enough to melt into the neighbouring wires.

That's some good looking vinyl. Is it foil backed? I've been looking for some of that type for a while.

Reactions: MazdaGT_E

·
Registered
2018 3 GT Hatchback,6 Speed MT
370 Posts
@MazdaGT_E the wiring was pretty simple, but Mazda does a really good job of wrapping the harness. They start the wrap at the connector end and finish where it joins the rest of the harness. Without undoing all the wrapping, I could only get about 1/2in of wire exposed to cut into the harness. Over heated some of the wire while soldering, but not enough to melt into the neighbouring wires.

That's some good looking vinyl. Is it foil backed? I've been looking for some of that type for a while.
Yea I've seem some of the wiring loom when i looked up adding the Apple Car play hub, Clean work from the factory for sure.

I used "LZLRUN 5D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap" from amazon, it says its rated for Outdoor Automotive use but that is 1,000% a lie, and the adhesion is good on flat surfaces but not so great in tight corners and such, its an ok product for how I use it but I will never use it outdoors or on complex trim pieces.

This is the Backing.
Rectangle Sleeve Grey Floor Denim

This is the Vinyl I bought.

·
Registered
Mazda3 Sport GT Polymetal over Garnet
39 Posts
The knob itself is substantially heavier than stock (~250g vs 95g) and does improve the already good shift feel. It's ~12mm(1/2in) taller than stock at the rear and ramps upward towards the front (probably about 20mm there).
I recently found my OEM Knob from my 1st Gen Mazda6. Weighed it at 190g. Fairly beefy compared to the lightweight 95g of the 4th Gen M3's. I didn't remember such a difference in weight and feel when I swapped the M6 for the ICT Knob.
Water Bottle cap Fluid Liquid Drink

41 - 45 of 45 Posts