2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey bro, do you have any updates on the shift knob? Is your momo already installed? I also want to get one but I have to be sure I'll like the way it looks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey bro, do you have any updates on the shift knob? Is your momo already installed? I also want to get one but I have to be sure I'll like the way it looks.
Years ago I had a Momo knob and shift boot. The shift boot was designed to screw into the bottom on the shift knob. Momo doesn't make boots like that anymore.

I went with this one:

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I decided on a Mishimoto Pistol Grip since it's one of the few I found that comes with an adapter for our specific shift rods thread (M10 x 1.25). I had to make a few adjustmens to the adapter tho:
  • Had to tap the internal thread all the way through because it wouldn't thread on the shift rod to the bottom
  • Had to sand the external ring of the adapter so it could thread to the very bottom of the shift knob
  • I thread locked the adapter to the shift rod so it wouldn't get stuck in the shift knob whenever I took it off
  • Mishi's inner thread is M18 x 1.5 in case you were curious about it
All these mods where done because the shift knob would sit higher than the factory one, which resulted in a kinda uncomfortable experience. It still sits a wee bit higher to my liking, so I was wondering if I could cut and shorten the shift rod and re-tap it to it's original thread so it can sit ANY shift knob at a lower height instead of machining the shift knob in case one wants to sell it.

Here are some pics of the Mishi Pistol Grip (nvm central console scratches), which is very ergonomic and feels pretty solid in my hand, although thanks to it I discovered I'm more of a spherical shift knob kind of guy since I almost always find myself resting my palm on the knob and shifting from there; will probably get another weighted one in that shape. Have my eyes on a Momo Nero.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,242 Posts
I still love my Blue Raceseng slammer . As you get older (arthritis) its gets harder to squeeze & hold those skinny sticks,

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,433 Posts
I got the James Barone Hybrid Cylindrical Heavy Shift Knob. Works and feels great!
CK

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,242 Posts
I got the James Barone Hybrid Cylindrical Heavy Shift Knob. Works and feels great!
CK

Those look cool too !

·
Registered
'19 Premium Hatch, 6MT
6 Posts
I went to my shift knob collection from past cars and dug out the knob from my '06 MX-5 to put in the 3. Works beautifully! I usually prefer a weighty shift knob, this car is no different. The knob is a Moddiction Anvil 2 (weighted to around 1lb), seen here: https://moddiction.com/shop/ols/products/anvil-2-shift-knob -- the product photos in the orange/brown interior are my old car even 😅. the knob sits low, feels great, and matches the classy interior, especially the brushed speaker grilles. Happy with it until I get something custom made ☺

·
Registered
Mazda3 Sport GT Polymetal over Garnet
39 Posts

I put one of these in my 05 Mazda6 when the factory leather started to deteriorate. I used it for 10 years with no noticeable wear. They don't have one out for the BP yet, but they have all the older Mazda3s covered. They're pricey, but they are beautiful, quality made, include boots and have options for backlight, H pattern, stitching, knob shape, and finishes.
Gear shift Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
2018 3 GT Hatchback,6 Speed MT
370 Posts
I work in a large Machine shop, I'm having one of our Lathe operators make me a nice aluminum shift knob, 90mmx45mm with three ring grooves at the top and I'm having it hard anodized after, my question is, how far should I have him tap the 10x1.25 into the Shift Knob? I mean I can always go out and take it off to check lol didn't know if anyone here knew at all 😬

·
Registered
39 Posts
Heads up for anyone considering aluminum shift knobs. My son has a dark anodized knob on his M3 and it gets very hot!

Reactions: MazdaGT_E

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,433 Posts
Delrin is the way to go.
CK

Pretty sure this knob works on the 4th Gen too. Shifter arm is the same, I think.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,433 Posts
I work in a large Machine shop, I'm having one of our Lathe operators make me a nice aluminum shift knob, 90mmx45mm with three ring grooves at the top and I'm having it hard anodized after, my question is, how far should I have him tap the 10x1.25 into the Shift Knob? I mean I can always go out and take it off to check lol didn't know if anyone here knew at all 😬
The one I linked uses a jam nut that fits inside the knob and a threaded nut that goes over the shifter arm. This allows you to adjust the knobs seating position based on the depth of the jam nut.
CK

·
Registered
370 Posts
The one I linked uses a jam nut that fits inside the knob and a threaded nut that goes over the shifter arm. This allows you to adjust the knobs seating position based on the depth of the jam nut.
CK
Yea thats what i planned to do, just wanted to make sure i get enough thread, if i have too ill use a jam nut.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Delrin is the way to go.
CK

Pretty sure this knob works on the 4th Gen too. Shifter arm is the same, I think.

I like the looks of those, but $80?! yikes, if this one i'm having made doesn't work then ill have to continue the hunt haha

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,433 Posts
It also has a spacer that goes on the arm under the shift boot. You can use zip ties or washers too, to make the boot flush with the bottom of the knob.

When I had my leather wrapped mx-5 knob on, I stacked washers under the boot. Thing has some weight to it too.
CK
Gas Nickel Auto part Metal Glass

·
Registered
370 Posts
It also has a spacer that goes on the arm under the shift boot. You can use zip ties or washers too, to make the boot flush with the bottom of the knob.

When I had my leather wrapped mx-5 knob on, I stacked washers under the boot. Thing has some weight to it too.
CK
Excellent tip with the washers, may just give that a try, I’ve always had gutted cars so I never cared about the shift boot haha

·
Registered
39 Posts

Well they finally have these for our cars! Got mine in this week. Also identified the dimmer controlled illumination wire in the console(white/violet).

I opted for the white lighting to match the car's and the colour is pretty close. I'm still toying with adding an inline resistor to bring the intensity down a bit, it feels a bit bright, no matter what level I have the lighting at. It could just be that the lines and font are wider than the rest of the interior design font, but I'm still thinking of toning it down.
Automotive lighting Automotive design Entertainment Performing arts Space

I chose the red stitching to complement the red leather. It too is a bit bright. I have already toned it down with a little oxblood coloured shoe polish, bit it's still a shade off.
Vehicle Gear shift Car Steering part Fluid

The knob itself is substantially heavier than stock (~250g vs 95g) and does improve the already good shift feel. It's ~12mm(1/2in) taller than stock at the rear and ramps upward towards the front (probably about 20mm there).

$165CND after shipping, exchange from euros, and import taxes

Reactions: MazdaGT_E

·
Registered
370 Posts

Well they finally have these for our cars! Got mine in this week. Also identified the dimmer controlled illumination wire in the console(white/violet).

I opted for the white lighting to match the car's and the colour is pretty close. I'm still toying with adding an inline resistor to bring the intensity down a bit, it feels a bit bright, no matter what level I have the lighting at. It could just be that the lines and font are wider than the rest of the interior design font, but I'm still thinking of toning it down.
Thats pretty Cool, I have seen a few of these over the years and ive always liked them, How difficult was it to wire up?

This is the one I had made, I added 5D Carbon Vinyl to it because as previously stated by you this puppy gets HOT lol, I actually keep a Soft Eyeglass case over it when the car is parked lol
Finger Font Material property Recipe Ingredient

Food Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Ingredient

21 - 40 of 45 Posts