2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i am thinking of removing the second cat, which is unmonitored, and keeping the stock resonator there, has anyone done this? did you feel any difference in perfomance? (loss, gain, or the same?) i just want a bit more sound without the expense of the cs midpipe which is 300 dollars.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Leave it alone, you will regret messing with it. Without getting into the nitty gritty details about exhaust scavenging that's all I can add.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im asking because the cs midpipe gets rid of it, i really want to do it. but if anyone has any experience thatd be usefull

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Several on here are very well versed in the exhaust dynamics of this car, hopefully they will chime in soon?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Most of the time automobile engineers know slightly more than your run of the mill ricer kid/tuner. Leave it alone. ;-)

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
I remember reading that you lose some torque when removing the 2nd cat... I would search around to confirm that though.
CK

·
Banned
842 Posts
I remember reading that you lose some torque when removing the 2nd cat... I would search around to confirm that though.
CK
You mean moved the torque up in the engine speed range. And if someone did say "LOST" torque I would just smile and say ....OooooooKAY! :smile2:

Anyone wanting to get that torque range back in the lower engine speeds there are things easily done to the exhaust to accomplish it that that any DIY can do easily and inexpensively .

·
Registered
965 Posts
I chopped mine off and welded in a Vibrant bottle style resonator.

I wanted improved flow but without the increase in sound because I already have the Corksport axleback and love the way it sounds. The resonator left a bit more growl then with the CAT and overall I'm happy.

You could easily get an exhaust to chop it off and weld in a straight pipe for more exhaust growl. I wouldn't worry too much about the effects on the powerband curve. It's best to tune for it, obviously, which is why I love my OV Tune.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts