2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2014 sT auto for a couple years before trading it in for the family minivan. I am looking into getting another sedan in a couple years but am hesitant to get a 3 sGT due to the typical FWD no LSD problems.

1. From a stop, the front tires will break traction. Not sure if this is better with a LSD. (This is not a big concern, just a small one that would be nice to improve)

2. from a stop, turning right onto a 50mph street (so need to accelerate quickly from a stop while turning), on intersections that have slight amount of sand or gravel, the inside wheel starts spinning when the car barely has begun moving and that causes traction control to kick-in. This cuts power abruptly and results in my car getting going much slower than planned. This annoyed the crap out of me everyday to the point I had to deliberately ease off how much throttle I can put in in those situations.

Can those problems be solved without a LSD? I wonder if suspension upgrades will give the front end more traction off the line, enough to make this barely noticeable. This is probably not as much of a problem with the 2.0 because it doesn't have as much torque off the line to spin the inside tire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
and lsd will help in the corner, however an lsd will lock the front end and turn both wheels at the same rate and will cause under steer inherently. if your not tracking it and lsd is expensive and alot more work and or money than its worth. a good suspension set up will be a better and much cheaper option. best choices for traction is a a stiffer sway bars and a set of springs to drop it an inch or so with a softer spring spring rate. the springs will give a decent ride and look with the lower center of gravity and the sway bays will kill the under steer and body roll. so intern you will get more traction

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
1. From a stop, the front tires will break traction.

2. from a stop, turning right onto a 50mph street on intersections that have slight amount of sand or gravel, the inside wheel starts spinning when the car barely has begun moving and that causes traction control to kick-in.... the inside wheel starts spinning when the car barely has begun moving and that causes traction control to kick-in.

Can those problems be solved without a LSD? I wonder if suspension upgrades will give the front end more traction off the line, enough to make this barely noticeable. This is probably not as much of a problem with the 2.0 because it doesn't have as much torque off the line to spin the inside tire.
1-Yeah, don't get so hard on the throttle when you know what the result will be.
2-Turn off the TC switch.

and lsd will help in the corner, however an lsd will lock the front end and turn both wheels at the same rate and will cause under steer inherently. if your not tracking it and lsd is expensive and alot more work and or money than its worth. a good suspension set up will be a better and much cheaper option. best choices for traction is a a stiffer sway bars and a set of springs to drop it an inch or so with a softer spring spring rate. the springs will give a decent ride and look with the lower center of gravity and the sway bays will kill the under steer and body roll. so intern you will get more traction
The LSD will not lock up and cause understeer. What it will do it send the power to the wheel that is not slipping, making for better cornering.
A larger rear sway bar will improve handling a lot and you'll have a noticeable reduction in the amount of understeer.
A big front sway bar will not help, rather it will work against the larger rear bar and you'll end up with understeer again.
Softer spring rates are not a good idea, especially when lowering. Again, soft springs will work against you. Swaybars work by increasing the cumulative virtual spring rate at each wheel. Lower spring rates will eat into any gains made from a swaybar upgrade. You want stiffer springs when lowering to counter the effects of reduced suspension travel. Otherwise its going to be a sloppy bumpy ride with a lot of time spent on the bumpstops.
In any case, none of his will do anything for you . You are spinning the tires by direct over-application of power when accelerating in a straight line from a dead stop and when turning on low friction surfaces. Sway bars and suspension rates do not play a big part in fixing this. Once again, turn off the TC switch.

Maybe get better tires? The tires that come on the car can barely get traction in a straight line on a warm flat dry surface.:shocked013:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree about the tires. Not much traction, even on dry pavement. I have a 2016 s GT manual. The tires that came with my car have a traction rating of "B" which is pretty bad. I'm sure replacing them will be a noticeable improvement, but it's still FWD, so you have to go easy on the throttle when the wheels are turned, putting your foot down as they straighten out. I've already experienced burnouts, squealing, chirping, scrambling and clawing at the road when I don't do that. I also can't rev too high for the 1-2 shift without drawing attention to myself :D

·
Working Class Hero
3,626 Posts
Agree with Arathol. Turn off the TC and learn to feather the throttle. Use the gas pedal like there's an egg between your foot and the pedal. Feel the grip, adjust accordingly. LSDs are stupid expensive for these cars, if they exist at all.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agree with Arathol. Turn off the TC and learn to feather the throttle. Use the gas pedal like there's an egg between your foot and the pedal. Feel the grip, adjust accordingly. LSDs are stupid expensive for these cars, if they exist at all.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.
agreed!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts